Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first float tube!
Nothing special but saw this as a whole combo with everything for $99.99 at Cabelas and had great reviews. I will be taking it to Strawberry this weekend. Unfortunately, I am moving to Missouri at the end of the month but hopefully I can find some lakes to float in. I will also be visiting my parents in Minnesota in July for a few weeks so I might try to take it out there too. I figured at $100 I can get a feel for a Float Tube and get to those spots I can't from shore Wink.

Let me know if there is anything I should know before I get in there. I also got a PFD because I figured if I am out there alone I should have one but it sounds like most people don't wear one. Am I going to look like a goofball wearing one of those while in my tube? haha

I also got a Rod Holding Tube set up with some bungee cords I was going to strap it down with. Eventually I will hopefully be able to get a nice set up. Going to get an associates degree (already have a bachelors) in Missouri so I'll be a poor college student again soon haha.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/C...t104335380

P.S Some of the rig setups you guys/gals have are unreal!!!
[signature]
Not a bad beginners setup. Hope you like it.
[signature]
It is a law to have a PFD on a boat, and they do treat pontoons and I would assume FT the same. A whistle/horn and a tow rope are a good idea too. You don't have to wear the PFD if you are over 12 I think, but you must have it with you. Most find them uncomfortable to wear unless the inflatable. Specially in a tube.
Nice tube, but be careful of the front bar. I had a tube like this years ago and the brace broke. Then it makes the sides of the tube curl in without it.
[signature]
That's good to know about the bar. An as far as the PFD that's what I figured that the law required. And I probably will just keep it near me if I don't have to wear it. Ill definitely put this tube to the test at 6'6 260... Says 275 capacity so we shall see haha.
[signature]
WOW![shocked] Hows the air up there[laugh]
[signature]
Depends if there is a tree near me while casting...
[signature]
Congrat's i dint no much about tubes but it look's good,
[signature]
Nice tube. With a sling seat you will sit much lower in the water. What I would do is either get an inflatable seat or a boat cushion to sit on. With most of the sling seat there is an opening in the back so you can strap the cushion on. That will raise you up a little bit anyway. Play with it and find what you would like.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-F...l+Products

I swim well, and have been around water all my life. I have a healthy respect for it. Wear your PDF. Especially if there are ski boats etc.

Have fun!!
[signature]
Thanks! I'll see if I can pick one up at Scheels since Cabela's (Been there 3 times in the last week haha) is a bit of a drive.

So would I strap the actual Cushion on the sling part or behind it in the actual opening. Sorry if I didn't understand that fully.
[signature]
You don't have to strap on, since you sit on it. I just strapped mine on so that it would stay put when I was getting in or out. It can be as simple as a cord to a d-ring or a bit more like tying a cord from one handle to the other - passing under the seat. Hope that makes more sense.

You could also double over your PFD and sit on it instead, if you aren't wearing it. I would NOT strap it, since you want it accessible in a time of need.

You might want to try it out first since you are so tall. The low seat in the water might not bother you. The cushions etc are just suggestions that you might use to improve your experience. Walmart, sportsmans, or any boat place may carry the boat cushions
[signature]
Awesome, Thank you so much for the help. Will be trying this out today. Gotta love when you get a Half Day Friday and can get out and do some fishing Wink Thinking East Canyon Tonight and Strawberry Tomorrow. Was going to camp at strawberry today and tomorrow but our buddy with the tent bailed haha.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help!
[signature]