Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yesterday's Boat Project
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Decided since the forecast looked like wind, I'd forego fishing on the Bear and take the boat to my buddy's shop and fab the side bunks I needed to keep the boat straight on the trailer on windy days. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The frame was built from 2" square tubing and the bunks were built with pressure treated lumber. We incorporated a ladder into the design so it was easier to access the boat while on the trailer.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I still need to carpet the bunks with indoor / outdoor carpet and have the metal frame hot dip galvanized to match the trailer. Does anyone know of a business that galvanizes parts in Northern Utah? Heres some pics of the semi-finished project.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Only place that rings a bell is Syro Inc . I always see it from I-15 going by Centerville . I looked it up in the phonebook .

SYRO INC.

950 West 400 South

Centerville , Utah

Phone # 292 - 4461
[signature]
looking good great idea about the ladder
[signature]
Nice design on the ladder, how long did it take to made all the bunks and ladder? Jordan River Galvanizing 5447W Axel Park Rd.West Jordan 801-282-9375. I can give you a few web sites if you need them that are steel companies but their ad does not say anything about galvanizing. Have a good Thanksgiving my friend. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Started at 9:30am and finished up (including clean up) around 6:00pm. Non stop except for a diet pepsi or two. I had full 3-D & 2-D drawings I made a week ago so we knew exactly all the lengths and angles before hand and that really sped things along without trying to design as you go. My buddy, Jeff, is pretty handy in a fab shop and I've got 24+ years in a machine/weld shop so we knew where we were going.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You have a good Thanksgiving and don't eat too much of that good grub! You going fishing this weekend?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Not unless we get back early from our elk hunt. If we get a elk early tomorrow we might be able to go Saturday. You still planning on trying to install that electric motor this weekend? WH2
[signature]
Very nice BLM. Looks like both of you guys are pretty handy with the steel! There is factory just to the north of Brigham, not sure if they actually do the galvanizing, but it might be worth a call.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the info on companies that do hot dip galvanizing. I got the wood covered with carpet today so I just need to get the metal galvanized and we're in business! Again, Thanks for the info. I'll make a few calls tomorrow. I'll also post what I find out in case others might need the service. Happy Turkey Day to all![/size][/font]
[signature]
It looks like you did a fine job on that trailer. My new guides keep bending on me, I guess I need to go to something heavier.
[signature]
BLM,I'm not sure but it is a possibility that Baer Welding could galvanize your tube steel for you. They specialize in ornamental metal & steel fabrication and they are located in Cache Valley.
[signature]
I need to get that done to my trailer too. It gave me an idea, I work with a kid that is taking a welding class. That would be a good and simple task for him to do.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]IN,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]For your trailer, Kokanee had a set for sale a while while back that would work just fine. I beleive they were from Cabela's and perfect for a 14' aluminum boat. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The problem I had was I needed something taller on the trailer than the standard stuff you could buy and bolt on. I also wanted something that could take the weight of my boat. If you'll notice in the pictures, the "bunk" board is not "level". It follows the contour of the boat so custom made side bunks were my only option. The ladder was a nice addition as anyone who has had side bunks can atest. It's a beech trying to climb over them to get in the boat![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If your student welder keeps it simple you should have it made. They are well worth the effort and not too much for materials. With a little creativity, you can custom build them to your trailer and boat.[/size][/font]
[signature]
BLM,

I was just wondering what make and model your boat was. Is it an all metal boat. John
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hi BFR,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It's a Gregor 20' Super Seahawk. You're right. It's an all aluminum center con.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Looks like a fun project!!! I finally sent my hydrolic lines with neveronsunday, to help me get those fixed. I am hoping that Bear Lake doesnt freeze or the marina. BLM, see what you have done to me. I am hoping to get my boat fixed and going by my birthday in Jan.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]JFYI, I looked into galvanizing parts and here's what I found out:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]SYRO INC.
950 West 400 South
Centerville , Utah
801-292 - 4461
[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]These guys can do a whole boat trailer but they're minimum is $400[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Jordan River Galvanizing
5447W Axel Park Rd.
West Jordan, Utah
801-282-9375
[/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The minimum is $100 for up to 400lbs[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Intermountain Galvanization[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]1085 West 400 North[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Lindon, Utah[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]801-785-7200[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]$100 minimum. Said to be top of the line quality from a local fab shop who has a lot of galvanizing done.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Like most others I like your boat a lot, I'm insanely jealous of your angling skills and passion but I mostly covet your boat trailer. That fab job was, well, just fab-u-lous! Gives me ideas for mine. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
[signature]
Did you decide to have one of the shops you listed galvanize your frame for your bunks? How much do you think the frame on your bunks weights? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm taking the steel parts to Intermountain Galvanizing in Lindon. I would say there's less than 200lbs total for the steel components. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The next project is custom bow rollers. Even with the side bunks, the bow can still come on the trailer misaligned in a stiff wind. A set of bow rollers mounted in the correct position will keep tha boat perfectly centered and correct any misalignment when coming up on the trailer. After Xmas though![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This weekend is the boat house Assembly! The building is here and ready to assemble. I'm still stumbling through the building permit application. What a crock! Who would think a free standing, portable carport would need a building permit?! [/size][/font]
[signature]
Can you tell me why you applied for a building permit,I put in a 20' X 50' portable carport this summer and did not need one,The reason why is the protable word,they can't do s**t if it is portable,meaning not a perment structure,They came by but couldn't do crap about it.HEHEHE.I love loop holes.
[signature]