Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family floatilla hits Utah Lake
The family and I went down to Utah Lake State Park for two nights this week and on tuesday we did a family floatilla. Launched mid morning into the provo river inlet. Mamatrout had her tube and motor and headed up stream a bit and I headed down stream finning my way out. My son was the last to launch and my daughter took off in her new caddis navigator and was all over the place.
I noticed how shallow the water was and not getting any takers when the radio crackled and I was told my daughter caught a white bass. Headed back up to their location for they were having diffuculty releasing the fish. When I got to them there was a nice sized white bass swimming under my daughter. I will guesstimate it to be around 12 inches since we didn't measure it. I made quick to remove the curly tailed jiog that she was using and let it back to the depths of the river. I then headed up stream my self and hooked in to two nice whities myself a 10incher and 12 incher. I was using my fairy wand with a clouser that I had tied. That was fun. We got out and went back to camp mid afternoon when the heat went up and we needed a some shade. [cool]
[signature]
Very nice. No pontoon?
You said back to camp, are you camping out there? We use to when I was little.
What's a fairy wand[Smile]
[signature]
Yes we were camping there at the state park. We took tubes with us this trip because we hadn't figured out how to take the toons without tearing them down. Now I am surprised you don't know what fairy wands are. [sly].
[signature]
Family outings are the best!

You need to strap a boat cushion to your girl's Nav seat. It will set her up a little higher.

I used to use one like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-F...l+Products

But later switched to an inflatable seat.
[signature]
Why would you take one of these fishing
https://www.google.com/search?q=fairy+wa...66&bih=617

Wouldn't a "Fly Rod" make more sense[cool]l
[signature]
I will give it a try. Thanks
[signature]
[Tongue]ok ok I get the picture.[laugh] I was using my 8 wt if you want to know.[cool]
[signature]
Whatever works. Talk of snoopy or spider man poles, you never know. Some might try that FW[Wink]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Why would you take one of these fishing
[url "https://www.google.com/search?q=fairy+wands&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=glHLUdiPIYa0iwKJkYDIAw&ved=0CFUQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=617"]https://www.google.com/...biw=1366&bih=617[/url]

Wouldn't a "Fly Rod" make more sense[cool]l[/quote]

I might have better luck using one of those! [laugh]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice.

Good to see there are still a few healthy white bass left in the lake. It has been pretty dismal for them in many spots.

I know what a fairy wand is. Used to use them a lot more myself. Pretty much leave them to the "Orvis dorks" now. (That should get a response from Joni.)
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Why, you saying I am an Orvis Dork?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Maybe an Orvis goddess. There be a differmence.

Whatever you are...it's working.

Sorry about the feathers...the ruffled ones. Tie some flies with 'em.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Always do.[Wink] Very little Orvis in the quiver these days though[cool]
[signature]
Hey, I have some Orvis wading shoes. Does that count??

I'd rather be an "Orvis Dork" than just a plain old everyday sort of dork. [:p] [laugh] [laugh]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Don't think you would qualify, by any stretch of the imagination.

Orvis is just a modifier of "dorkism". There are many different kinds of dorks. The Orvis variety is usually characterized by flaunting their O possessions in order to demean others who are less O-endowed. Merely owning O products does not automatically qualify an otherwise decent person as an O dork. That status must be earned by a continuous and unbearable O attitude...that they are supreme and exalted beings due to their ownership of O products...or other products of higher value...if not superior quality.

Some folks are born into dorkism. Others have it thrust upon them.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yeah you got a response.[Tongue]

When I pulled these fish out I was a little surprised at their health. I was expecting a little less.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Those appear to be fine healthy fish. The first white bass I caught this year...at the bubbleup...were all between 12 and 14 inches...6 of them. They were all very healthy and a couple even had the remnants of baby white bass in their innards. They were big enough to eat larger fry and were able to make a living.

Smaller white bass around the lake are not able to eat their brethren after they get much over about 2" long. And the spawns for all species...including bluegills and crappies...were poor last year in the low water. Add into that the mud flats that produce midge larvae and leeches were dried out and lifeless and you can see that the grocery stores were mostly closed.

Fortunately, there are a few areas that still produce enough food to sustain the local white bass populations...even if they don't get big and fat. That is enough to hold them until better water and food conditions. After that they will repopulate very quickly and we will see a lot more of the larger and healthier fish.

Utah Lake has cycles, just like all the other lakes in this desert state. And it always seems to bounce back.

Glad you guys found a few gooduns and that you are keeping the whole fambly afloat.

Thinking about Starvation soon?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000FF]
Thinking about Starvation soon?
[/#0000FF][/quote]

Always
[signature]
Of course he got a response, he used my name.[crazy]
But, by all means, don't forget you "Fairy Wand". Apparently it keeps you from being an Orvis Dork.....
[signature]
[bobhappy]yep, I don't use orvis either.
[signature]