Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into tooning at last
I have been land bound since moving to Idaho and trading in my bigger sedan for a small hatchback not rated for towing. I needed a vessel that would pack down small enough to fit inside. I have been looking at frameless pontoons since they burst on the scene a couple of years ago, but they were out of reach.

A few days ago I happened to be in the Boise Cabela's, and saw the Creek Company Voyager on sale for $299. Took the time to mull it over and check out online reviews, and decided to pull the trigger last night. I plan on using it for still water and maybe some leisurely floats if I can hook up with a fishing partner nearby (I usually fish by myself, so the trip back upstream would be a pain).

They didn't have any in stock so it will be about a week before I can pick it up, but I can't wait to start chasing those crappie, perch and kokes out on the local reservoirs.

I have an inflatable life vest and an older portable Eagle fish finder from when I still had a small boat. Don't have waders, but I'll probably hold off on them until the water starts to cool off in a couple of months. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I will think of once it arrives!
[signature]
I bet you'll be chasing cats. You will need some fins and boots. Ron
[signature]
Right on!. Please don't take this the wrong way, because at $299. it is indeed a great price. I have talked to several that have these boats and they do not have a good track record. 33% return rate.
But, main complaint is the seams. Specially where the foot bar is sewn on. They recommend coating all seams with Aquaseal before using it.
Take this or leave it, your choice.

And you might be able to get away with just hip waders. Even in the heat of the summer, I wear hippers as there are all sorts of parasites or leeches in the waters.

Please understand I am only giving a heads up. Your experiences could differ.

Flippers, whistle, rope....should be good to go.
[signature]
Yes, channel cats are on my list too. I usually have better luck with them at places where there's some current, though. I think current carries the smell of the bait better. I do know some places on the Snake with slow current or slack water that are possibilities, though. I'll need to get a feel as to how fast/far I can row it before I tackle current.

This toon doesn't have a rod holder, but I'll be adding one. That way I can bait one rod up for bottom fishing while casting with the other.

I'm already thinking about ways I could rig up a navigation light so I can resume fishing at night in the winter for big trout and perch near the CJ Strike dam. I've really missed doing that since they closed the top of the spillway.
[signature]
Thanks flygoddess.This craft is just mainly a way to see how I like pontoons and how much I will use them. I'll trade up in a year or two if it's something I can really get into. I think at some point I will want something I can connect a motor to. I really like the new lightweight NFO boats, they're just a bit too dear for me right now.

I will put some sealant over the seams and the threads on the foot bar. If it becomes a problem, I'll swap them out for an adhesive D-ring mount. Shouldn't be to hard to attach the foot bar to a D-ring.
[signature]
I think you will enjoy your new ride. I use mainly breathable waders. I take and fold the chest part down when I am on my toon and turn them into hip waders that way.
[signature]
You mean you roll them down to waist waders don't you. Be hard to walk with them rolled down to your hips.
But on second thought, that's the way the kids wear them[Smile]

You can get breathable hippers for a lot less than full or waist waders though.
All I use anymore.
[signature]
[Wink]
[signature]
It's finally here! It seems sturdy enough for still or slow moving water. Put it together and pumped it up for a leak test. We'll see if it holds air over the next couple of days.

Hopefully I can have the maiden voyage on Parkcenter Pond this weekend.
[signature]
Good deal. You'll enjoy the freedom your pontoon will give you for years to come. Enjoy!!
[signature]
Be careful to not fill it full in the morning and leave it all day it could explode. They will swell with heat and shrink with cooler weather. It will seem that they are losing air but they are not. Ron
[signature]