Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon (report)
Petty4life and myself made a morning run up to East Canyon today. Was a really nice day to be out. Wind wasn't blowing much, and the fishing was excellent. We fished for about 3.5 hrs, and we boated 34 fish. The largest was a 17" football rainbow. At first the bite was very light, and we missed a bunch of fish, but then at around 9 it really picked up. We ended up with 5 sets of doubles for the day. Seems like today the fish were consistantly bigger than those we've been catching over the last couple months. Nothing huge, but not many hatchery pets today. We ended up giving 4 fish to a lonely bank fisherman who wasn't having much luck. If we had another PFD we would have had him ride along to catch a few fish.

We caught the fish today fishing from 30-35 feet down, trolling 1.2 MPH, using Apexes and Kokanee Kings tipped with crawlers and mealies. I was surprised that the water temps were still 39 degrees. It will probably be a few more weeks before ice up.

Thanks for the nice trip petty4life!
[signature]
any ice forming? you guys sure make it up there quite a bit it looks like lately. hope not everyone is keeping limits from east canyon everytime. very fragile trout fishery up there.
[signature]
good day of fishing. the 34 fish where evenly caught between the 2 of us. both of us running double rigs.
[signature]
Didn't see any ice anywhere. Water was still almost 40 degrees. We usually don't bring home any fish...catch and release. Let the fish get bigger[Smile] We gave 4 to the bank fisherman, and he was very grateful. He said his family loves fish. Other than that, all fish caught will live to bite again another day!
[signature]
Sounds like you 2 had a good time. I wanted to go, but it was a OEJ wife birthday and Friday night we set out to turn SLC upside down. Needless to say, I should have called you guys when I finally headed to bed, cause it was about the time you were sitting in Dennys. I noticed on Thursday morning, the bite was consistant right after sun up. but around 9 am the bite really started to pick up.
[signature]
We didn't stop and eat at Denny's, just met at the usual meeting place and headed up. We didn't start fishing utill 8AM, so not the earliest morning, but like you said, the bite didn't pick up until 9, so it was no big deal.
[signature]