Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey Kokes ?
What tactics would I use to catch pre spawning kokes at Causey- Would be going around the 10th of Aug. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks
[signature]
The same as you would for any lake that has kokanee[Wink]. Down riggers or lead core line is a must to get to the deeper levels that kokes hang out. A decent fishfinder would really help. I like fishing with a squid behind a dodger but some of the new epic NWT spinners work good as well. If you make it up there, let us know how you do.
[signature]
[#000050]I haven't been to Causey in years. I used to take a Zodiac and drag it down to the water by the dam. Is there any better access up there these days to get on and off?[/#000050]
[signature]
Without a tube/toon or something of that nature, Causey will be an evil mistress right now.

On the other hand, it's my favorite Utah ice fishing lake.
[signature]
No, the dam approach is one of the best options as far as distance to the water from the parking area. I haven't been up there recently but if the water level is still high, which I doubt it is, you could also go over the dam, toward Causey Estates. There is a small parking area there, and you could hand carry a boat down, if the shore isn't too muddy or it isn't too far to the water.
[signature]
The BuRec chart shows Causey at 72% of capacity as of 7/21. I'm guessing that would put a lot of mud between the south arm launch area and the water.

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/basin/tc_wf.html
[signature]
Can you not still redneck launch over by the gate to the boyscout camp?
[signature]
The hike gets worse every week! Most of the fish will be down deep still, so you'll need down riggers. As the levels are dropping so fast, lead core line gets less effective, because you have a narrower window to troll with. They won't be ready to stage at the rivers until the end of Aug. After the 15th it is illegal to posses any koke that has any pink/red on it. The dam is the most straight forward, but it is kinda steep and rocky. You can also launch in the scout camp arm, but the walk gets longer all the time. The lake is dropping about a foot a day right now.

Red-neck launching over that rail would not be advised. It's a long ways to the waters edge, and you'd likely get stuck. Plus if the fuzz catches you, ticket time.

Good luck if you head up. Let us know how you do.
[signature]
Thanks for the link Rocky, that will go in my favorites. I'm amazed at how low some of those water levels are and how much water Causey has in it still. You haven't been up there lately have you? As hot as it is, I bet that water level will be dropping fast.
[signature]
Couple years back we had a Wildlife Officer tell us we could launch toons over that gate, just nothing with a trailer.

To clarify I'm not talking the gate to the BS camp I'm talking the one right next to the small parking lot there that looks like at one point it was a dirt boat launch.
[signature]
I think TKB is right, you can launch there but of the two arms of Causey that you can get to, that would be the worse because of how steep it is as the water goes down. It has been a number of years ago but there was a dirt launch on the Causey Estates side.
[signature]
Here's another website with lake levels.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/resv...l?state=UT
[signature]
Took a trip up to Causey this morning. The water is down at least 35 feet, if not more. The walk up and down the dam was oh-so-pleasant. We did boat a fish or two, but you will work to get your craft on the water. I saw one guy bring in a baby koke long lining, but for the most part, they were down a bit. It looks like a couple hundred yards of hiking if you put in by causey estates. Didn't get very far up the scout arm, but I'd imagine it is the same. Let us know how you do.
[signature]
Hey Brandon, with the water level being so low, do you think there is any way the level is at 71%?
[signature]
I'm not really sure Kurt. The lake is very deep, and is quite narrow, so maybe it's at 70%, but I'm not a good judge of how much water is really left as far as acre feet go.
[signature]
I could see it at 71% even with the water draw down. I've graphed 120ft on fish finder during ice season, and that was near the cliff walls northeast of the dam.
[signature]