Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cub River
I got a chance to spend most of Monday up in the Cub River Canyon, so I decided to hike into some of the canyon area. What a beautiful hike and river. The river was low,very very clear, and still fairly cold since it comes from springs that were only a couple of miles or so above there.

Unfortunately the catching wasn't so great. I was there in the middle of a bright sunny day so maybe that was part of it. --- And any other excuse I can think of! I did not turn or see a single fish in the creek. I spooked one small fish that was hanging out in a beaverpond that was off to the side. He was by his lonesome.

Still a beautiful section of the creek.

[inline "Cub canyon.jpg"]
[signature]
That is a beautiful place.
Ron
[signature]
Thanks for the post , it looks like a nice place .
[signature]
Cub River has always been weird like that. I was up there just a few weeks ago and killed it. Caught more cuts than I could even count. Then some days it's hard to even get a look. But the more I fish that river (and I fish it quite often) I learn more and more about the fishes behavior their. They are super spooky, probably because of how clear the river is. You got to keep a low profile and sneak up behind them.
[signature]
I've always loved small creek fishing where you peer just over the tall grass, toss a worm in, and hook one immediately. Then in the attempt to release the fish quietly you spook the rest, but still a blast.
[signature]
Good to know that the river is occasionally fickle for others too. Since it was so low I was wondering if many of the fish moved downstream to deeper holes. I wasn't seeing even any small young of the year fish. It doesn't help that I was there in the middle of a bright sunny day either, but I gotta fish when the chance is there. I loved the hike and the country. I will be back!

Good advice on the stealth approach. I have many "combat crawl" fishing hours behind me. I am about the only person I have ever seen that fishes in camo with kneepads! [laugh][laugh][crazy] (I love Harbor Freight's cheep kneepads. They are light, and I don't get too upset when I lose one in the willows! [Tongue])
[signature]
Not sure what it is like mid day because I typically try to avoid those hours, but I spent an hour on the stream just before dark yesterday evening and landed about 15. It was worth the drive. No bows or brookies this trip. Went passed the guard station upon arrival.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, and thanks for the report. I think midday was the main issue, but it was the only time I had that day. I am looking forward to going back sometime.
[signature]
My friend was up there a week and a half ago and did well, here is a video of some of his fish caught on a Tenkara fly rod.
[signature]
I took a quick trip to Cub River this morning and did quite well, about 26 fish (see the video). The autumn leaves were awesome up there today also.
[signature]