Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Fork X5 Outboard
[left]I have just purchased a North Fork X5 and I intend to put a petrol outboard on it as I will be mainly fishing the lakes here in New Zealand.
I was looking closely at the Yamaha 6hp fourstroke with the built in fuel tank, I would be keen to hear if anyone has used this OB and what the performance was like ? will it get up on the plane ? I weigh about 1801b.

Also, will I need a 20" shaft or will a 15" be OK.

I have seen on Dave Scaddens youtube video he is running an 8HP, looks great but an 8hp is a lttle expensive and is alot of extra weight to have to lift on and off !

I would welcome any feedback from X5 owners out there.

Cheers

John
[/left]
[signature]
Hi Cantab, Yes My husband has ran an OB on an X5. He used a 5 hp Nissan (Merc) with external gas tank. Tank in the motor would be sweet.
15" shaft is fine. He went with the Magnum deck. Added a 2X4 the length of the width of the deck. Two metal straps bracing the back to the deck. Also a wood plate for the motor clamp.
Of course, run the boat with the curve to the front.

[Image: IMG_0954-1.jpg]

You can see the straps in this shot
[Image: IMG_0953-1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2573.jpg]

You can go smaller and still get from point A to B in good time. A friend had a 4 hp on his 12' model and cruised pretty good.

Cons: Pain in the behind to turn around and pull start to move short distances. Also the faster you go, you may want to design some king of splash guard.

Oh, and he used the 4" seat extension.

He now uses electric. Much easier.
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess, just the information I needed.
I will be running an electric on it also. I like the idea of the range that a petrol outboard gives.

Cheers

John
[signature]
Perfect. Dave ran the electric off the front due to the fact with the higher seat, he could not use fin power.

[Image: x55.jpg]

Suggestion however, try to get a smaller battery like maybe a wheel chair deep cycle.
I run a small Worker (older model no longer made) and I can get 5 hours on 2 of my Minn Kota. Save on weight to be loaded on, however that boat can take it.

I know Dave and Larry very well. Good guys. Check this picture out. And Larry is not a small guy, but shows the weight those boats can handle.

[Image: IMG_3802.jpg]
[signature]
I have been looking at propane powered outboard's 2.5 & 5 hp,they get good review's. [fishin]
[signature]
They're proud of those babies! Price of a 2.5 is around that of a 4 stroke 6. You don't use that much gas to justify the cost do you?

If I had that kind of money, I would definitely get one of these babies

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/sto...hi5tRvlZhU

No pollution or rotten egg smell...LOL
[signature]
For that much I'd hire a college student in a bikini to row me around and I wouldn't bother bringing any fishing gear... Well, maybe a little fishing gear.
[signature]
I hear Flyfishinglover is looking for a job! The bikini might be another subject[laugh][laugh]
[signature]
The LEHR 5hp has gone up in price 200.00 sense i last looked, But i still think it is convient,just screw on a bottle & go.
[signature]
What exactly interests you? Weight is similar to gas engines. I get the no fumes (as long as the tank doesn't) But four strokes are not bad.
I read there is no reverse? Don't use it a lot but there are times.[Smile]

Interesting too, they come with a four foot hose to haul a bigger tank.

I would like to hear more as well. Like how long does a small tank get you.

The down side to both gas and propane is having to start it to move short distances, but you can go farther or up river as a plus.

As for price, the gas motor seems to be a good choice.
[signature]
I just think it is a good idea.All of the review's i have read are possitive. Cabelas has 2 review's. You don't have gas smell,no worry about Ethenal in the gas to ruine the carb.[Smile]
[signature]
Gotcha. Didn't think ethenal was a problem on the smaller newer motors. Nothing I ever worried about, but I do add Seafoam.
What about the reverse thing? It does look convenient.
Anything on how long the small tanks last?
[signature]
Ethanol is a huge problem for outboards. The alcohol draws water out of the air and into the gas. This problem is worse for outboards that have their own tank. And since we are in a very moist environment it makes it even worse. Even for motors that are rated for ethanol most manufactures do NOT recommend using ethanol in their motors at all. Most of the additives work okay at best. After running a season on no ethanol fuel vs ethanol there is a HUGE difference in these little motors.

On the no reverse thing. I haven't read up on them at all but from seeing the picture I would say that the steering is 360 degrees. If they want to go in reverse they turn the motor backwards. Neither of my two motors have a reverse. Wen I go backwards I just turn the motor and the tillers flips over so it can be reached. Ron
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Ethanol is a huge problem for outboards. The alcohol draws water out of the air and into the gas. This problem is worse for outboards that have their own tank. And since we are in a very moist environment it makes it even worse. Even for motors that are rated for ethanol most manufactures do NOT recommend using ethanol in their motors at all. Most of the additives work okay at best. After running a season on no ethanol fuel vs ethanol there is a HUGE difference in these little motors.

On the no reverse thing. I haven't read up on them at all but from seeing the picture I would say that the steering is 360 degrees. If they want to go in reverse they turn the motor backwards. Neither of my two motors have a reverse. Wen I go backwards I just turn the motor and the tillers flips over so it can be reached. Ron[/quote]

Here is an article on it
http://www.evinrude-parts.com/boat_ethan...ution.html

I have been using regular gas for the past 6 or so years with no problems, but others experience may differ.

Do they have ethanol in NZ?
[signature]
Last year running ethanol in my Coleman I was using Staybil marine formula. I found that about every 50 miles I had to pull the spark plug and clean it. Last year I had over 250 miles on that motor.

On my last trip last year The motor quit me two times and I wondered if I was going to get back. When I knew I was done for the year I did my oil changes and changed the plug. The spark plug had a brown varnish like crud that wouldn't come off. I looked into the cylinder and it had the same brown crud. After reading and watching a lot of video's I contacted some boat mechanics. They all said the same thing ethanol is poison for an outboard, and the outboards with a tank are the worst.

Starting this year I have used non ethanol gas only. I never had a single hiccup this year, not one. I did clean the plugs on both motors in July to see how they were doing. I still use the marine grade staybil just in case. Both motors looked good. My Johnson had no brown varnish and the Coleman had actually cleaned up a bit.
Since I was still using the Staybil the only difference was the no ethanol gas. And this year I had close to double the number of miles as last year.

I'm not sure what you mean (Do they have ethanol in NZ?)
Ron
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I hear Flyfishinglover is looking for a job! The bikini might be another subject[laugh][laugh][/quote]

Ok that put a vision in my mind I didn't want to see.[:p]
[signature]
Ron, the gentleman that started this thread is from New Zealand (NZ) Does New Zealand have ethanol gas.
Sounds like your experience differs. A lot of outboards out there, not all are breaking down or using special gas.
[signature]
I will leave this on this comment, but do some home work on it. Ethanol is the death of outboards, don't just take or not take my word for it. This is not just something that happens to a selected few. A person might not see a problem for a long time if they only use their motor a couple times a year. The propane motor would be way better for finding good quality fuel.
Ron
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I hear Flyfishinglover is looking for a job! The bikini might be another subject[laugh][laugh][/quote]

I just about spit my coffee all over my computer when I read that! A contender for joke of the year FG!

I was considering small outboard motor for my pontoon. Now I think I will just stick to my electric 30lb thrust.
[signature]
I didn't mean to open up a can of worm's, but that's why the propane powered outboard sound's like a good idea. I think i read a 1lb can, the green ones you use on your camp stove will run about 2 hrs.
My marine dealer says to run all the ethanol gas out of the carb after every use.
[signature]