Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I forgetting anything
I am adding a trolling motor to my outcast sportmans warehouse 8 pontoon. I have looked through this site and others to see what I need for this. Below is some things I have learned and some questions I still have.

1- Need motor mount for boat. An email to Outcast with photos of my boat solved this one. Mount is ordered.

2- Minnkota Endura c2 30 seems to be the popular motor.

Would the one with the 30 inch shaft be ok or should I go with the 36?

3- When i get the motor turn the prop around so it is the same way as the handel. This will allow you to steer with your flippers.

4- Use a deep cell batery. A wheel chair or golf cart battety takes up less room.

Where in the slc utah area can i find such a battety?

What type of battery charger?

Is one of the plastic battery boxes helpfull.

5- I need to register my boat.

I live in Utah. What info do i need to take yo the DMV? How much does it cost?

What is the best way to display my registration numbers?

Anything else I need to do or consider?

Thanks for the help!!

Mark
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good luck and have fun with your mods.

The 30# motor with a 30" shaft should work fine. Only if you need more depth or height will you need a longer shaft. Not usually necessary on the toon model you are getting...unless you mount it higher than a normal mount.

Size and weight of the battery should not be a serious consideration on your toon, so you should get at least a series 24 or 27 battery. You will find yourself using it more if you have the capacity to do so. The smaller batteries are okay if you only fish a small area and are not likely to do any trolling or need to make longer runs to your fishing area...or back in windy conditions. And yes, make sure your battery is a good deep cycle battery.

Use the same battery charger you would use for an auto battery. But it is good to have settings for different levels...such as 2 amp, 10 amp and higher. The lower settings will let you top off your battery before a trip. The medium setting is best for recharging your battery immediately after getting home from a trip. And the high setting is for getting a charge more quickly...if needed. Also good to get a charger with digital readouts for voltage, capacity, rate of charge, etc. About 50 to 60 dollars at Walmart.

Yes, it is wise to keep your battery in a protective box...both for the battery and your craft. But if it is not likely to get submerged the cover is optional. However, it helps keep the battery warmer in cold weather...especially if you stick some foam insulation around the edges. Cold sucks the life from batteries.

Yes, you will need to register your motorized craft. But not all DMV offices register watercraft and the ones that do may not be sharp on registering a tube or toon without a hull ID number. It is a good idea to take your bill of sale (for assessed valuation), and a picture of your craft...with the electric motor installed...so there is no room for misunderstanding. The first year license fee will be more because they add in sales tax on your craft, along with the annual license fee.

You can use sticky numbers and letters from Lowes or a hardware store...along with the stickers you get from DMV. Use 3" size and attach them to a piece of white wood, PVC header board, plexiglas or the foam board used for making signs. Hang that off the frame of your toon in the appropriate places.

Sounds like you have identified most of the major considerations. Let us know if you need more info or clarification.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Life vest, & fins/flippers. Whistle, rope.
[signature]
You need to have this form filled out.
[signature]