Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X5
Got out for a few days this last week. I opted to take the X5. I love it's size and ease to move. Plus the stow space is great.
I did take the standing deck off on this trip, and replace the under the seat area with mesh. Just in case ol' butter fingers dropped something[Wink]

I took four rods but only used two. Can't be too prepared. I have the three Scotty rod holders in the back and one up front to hold rod while landing a fish.
[Image: IMG_0924_zps19456758.jpg]

This shows the sonar mounted with Ram
[Image: IMG_0989_zps7169ed23.jpg]

When coming in, I lift the motor and I am able to kick it at a little
[Image: DSCN0027_zps84870d9c.jpg]

We haul them with a modified Harbor Freight fold in half.
[Image: DSCN0026_zps058d7e04.jpg]

When people ask if the 30" prop is long enough, This is the 36" and these are large diameter pontoons. It is in the water quite a ways. Note that there is close to a foot still sticking up. I went with the next size larger motor, because of the size and the U shape of this boat. In choppy water there is more resistance in this style boat than the two pontoons. With the larger diameter, the foot print is bigger.
[Image: f8a90328-a54d-4e10-bb50-786158063503_zps2cd5fb15.jpg]

A lot of fish caught with the majority being Rainbow, but a couple cutts too
[Image: IMG_0959_zps49ef1c71.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0971_zps7d29ccc5.jpg]

Even several doubles
[Image: IMG_0983_zps00cd23ed.jpg]

All but two were released....

[Image: IMG_0935_zps41ee3e5a.jpg]
[signature]
I too got out for a few days this past week, and opted for the Sportsman 9 , but then I didn't have any other choice , you wealthy people. [Wink]

I did as you know built a larger back aluminum platform, similar to what are on the Scadden boats, some of the brands of pontoons are not real functional . It is great to have a place for a small cooler, gear ,whatever. X5 will most likely be my choice when the time comes . The frameless are nice for the portability , but not the end of the world having to take apart , and assemble a framed pontoon. I am used to that when taking my fifth wheel somewhere. Ran across a young guy at Strawberry that had an 8' outcast ,transported in an SUV, had the back seat folded down, the frame was still assembled, all he had to do was inflate, and hook up the pontoons, it looked like a great way to transport a framed pontoon without a trailer if you are willing to do a little assembly at the water.
[signature]
I have several friends that do that. Note, however, My boat is called the Outlaw X5. The X5 however is the frame. Same used on the Madison, and the Skykomish.
This boat and frame are wider than any of the others. My X5 is 60" (inflated). They will fit (tightly) in the back of a full sized pickup, but not sure about a small SUV.
In my Suzuki, I could easily put the frame on the roof and the toon inside though. There are 5 straps that tie the frame to the boat and no lining up like individual pontoons so really is fast set up. The frame is three piece with seat and foot pegs attached
[Image: IMG_1114.jpg]
No screws, just clips.
Here is the entire boat
[Image: IMG_2467.jpg]

Problem is, when I get to the water, I already have to put waders on, string rods, so I HATE having to prep the boat too[Tongue]

But, I have and still do it. Speaking of which, here is my Renegade. 9' frameless. Lest the seat inflated (like a frame) so all I had to do was inflate pontoons. Battery, motor, flippers, oars, net, rods...everything is in here with the passenger seat still empty. [Smile]
[Image: IMG_4142.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Stopped by Dave’s shop yesterday to get a replacement clip for metal bar on Assault XX and starting looking at an Avenger XX with rowing frame and standing platform for front passenger (Suz loves site-casting to rising trout). The Avenger may be just the ticket when we need to carry more gear or when the rowing gets serious like on the Green.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I also want to get a trailer so I can rig the boat the night before and then just go. You guys have launching and loading a toon down to a science.[/font][/size]
[signature]
Koch bought the Avenger and later bought another frame so He basically has that set up. Big boat but he manages it in his truck bed. Awww to be young again[Wink]
[signature]
Looks like you had a great trip in spite of the unsettled weather.

I love how prepared all your boats and equipment are. ... streamlined and ready!

Nice fish too!! Good to see the local waters treating you well.
[signature]