Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tubin and toonin on Strawberry Reservoir
Hooked up with FFL this morning for a trip to Strawberry for some tubin and toonin. FFL was short a tube so I just happen to have an extra one laying around so I let him b orrow it for the day. We hit soldier creek with at the crack of dawn and saw a whole lot of surfacing going on around the ramp. As it got lighter we could tell they were some really nice sized kokanee doing their ritual.

Headed out to open water and immediately I got a nice 14 inch rainbow. That would be it for over an hour. It was pretty cold upon our arrival and the lake was covered with fog. As soon as the fog cleared it seemed like some one turned on the dinner bell. Well for me at least. I started to bring fish to the toon like mad. Had one nice bow do a quick release right as I got it to me then while I was fighting a cutthroat on one fly rod (I decided to drag two behind me today. One with floating line and the other with sinking line, both had woolly buggers on them) I had another hook up. Thought I set the hook on that one but when I finally got aound to working that rod the fish had slpit. I gotta say thanks to FG for the tip. [Wink] They worked great. caught and released several more fish as we headed back in. After one fighting fish I had a little problem with one of my fly rods. Good thing I had another with me. Looks like I am in the market for a new rod.[:/]

The wind kicked up at 11:40 and I noticed it wasn't too bad where we were at. I caught a nice 18" cutty as we got into the marina. Attempted to get one of the kokes mad enought to attack my bugger. All I got was a few chases. Left mid afternoon to a great day. Oh if interested FFL caught a 16.5 trout and whole lot of little minnows that were hanging around the boat ramp. Alas all were within the slot but one, but I gotta say I haven't had a day like today for a long time.

Here are some pics. Sorry about the condition but the trout really didn't want their picture taken for some reason today.
[signature]