Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport drive by 10/05/13
Coming back from elk hunting on Sat afternoon, I took some pics of the low water conditions at RP. They had a front end loader on the ramp cleaning the mud off the lower end, so boater should still be able to launch. I'd like to get some closer pics, for the ice fishing season because last fall it was this low and it come way up before we ice fished there. There is a good edge where the water ends right now, that could be a good place to look for the perch when the water comes up. Anyway, I'm going to try and get some more pics this coming weekend.
[signature]
Now that is some low water.
[signature]
Wow that's low!! I remeber driving by there last fall before the ice and it was low and when ice season came it filled back up. Lets hope it does the same this year...on another note, what's a good lure for perch there during ice season? I tried for them last year with a Hali Spoon tipped with a mealie and no dice.
[signature]
I've tried a lot of different jigs over the years but my favorite are the atomic ant and rat finky. I'm sure other will work but those two are the ones I use the most. I mainly use wax worms but meal worm will also work. If you can find a good group of fish on the bottom with your finder, that always helps. On our first trip up there last year, we drilled around 20 holes before we found a good group of fish.
[signature]
The hali spoon is one of the best perch lures out there. The blue green one has worked the best for me. I have never done well with meal worms for perch. I usually use a wax worm to catch my first perch then switch to perch eyes. Those perch are carnivorous little buggers.
[signature]
+1 you cant go wrong with a halis spoon, they get down fast since they are heavy and it makes it more sensitive to bites with that weight on.
Usually if your on a school of em it doesent matter what kind of jig aslong as its tipped with some bait.
But other times they are finicky like any fish can be so you gotta try different colors and setups to trigger even the lightest bites cause that's all you get sometimes.

Also thanks for the pics of RP WH2, that's crazy low but should be good for perchin in the winter.
[signature]
I bought the perch colored one last year and didn't have any luck. I usually fish on the westside of the lake off the second turnout. Anyone have any luck there for perch?
[signature]
That's a good area to try for them when the water is higher, but with this low water it might be a little searching to do like echo was last season. RP is all about location, if your not getting into them within 30 minutes then move 50 yrds and try. once you find them its on.
Last year me and my buddy jack fished out in that area and where getting a few throughout the day but nothing real hot. We were just getting ready to pack up before dark when all 4 of our poles started going crazy, we each picked up 30 or so in a half hour. Pretty fun when your on em.
RP has also been on a cycle the last 4 or 5 years.
About 5 years ago we would go out and limit on Jumbos every single trip, and then the next few years they sorta disappeared with the occasional jumbo.
But the last 2 years ive started to see good numbers of all sizes which is good for the lake, I believe it will only get better in the next few, hopefully.............[:p]
[signature]
Drove by again yesterday and got pics, this time from the State parks side by the campground. It will be a good spot to access the ice this winter if the water level does not come up.
[signature]