Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake "report"
Fished the Bear with my Loco Mexicano buddy,unloaded at around 7 ran into Kent,Polokid and PHopper,after unloading I went to pull out and the rope from the boat got cought on the trailer and i drug the boat up the ramp a bit[shocked]I am sure Kent and them are still laughing!!We fished north of the pile in 75'lots of fish just not very intrested,we boated 4 with the biggest going about 8#.All 4 were cought on black tube with green skirts/cisco,only had one hit on white and missed it!![shocked] We tried trolling for 30 min. with no luck.Also ran into Old Coot ,he said they had a very slow day with few bites and no fish boated!!Hope them other boys had a better day then the rest of us?I only seen 1 other fish boated it looked like a guppy2-3#s.

The weather was nice first thing then got windy and rough for a few hours. We headed for the Marina at 230 and it had just started to rain when we got there!! Nice to meet you guys I have never met before,and Phopper it was good to talk to you again "long time no talk"Later,M.H.
[signature]
sounds like one of those days where you just got to pay your dues. But you at least caught a couple. Strange how the color pattern works. Last week all of mine were caught on the white tube.
It was nice meeting you Muskyhunter. We should have stayed with you -- at least you caught some macks. We started off of Gus' Point and was the most easterly boat of several boats there. After a couple hours of not catching any fish, nor seeing any fish caught, we motored over to the east shored and fished a spot on the extreme south end. Vertical jigged for about 45 minutes and then headed for Cisco Beach. There were three boats near the low-water boat ramp doing well catching whitefish, so we joined them for awhile. We ended up catching 9 of them, with P-hopper catching more than his fair share. We moved out from the pay booth and tried jigging for awhile for macks with no luck. We then moved back across and fished north of the Rockpile, again with no luck. We dropped Polokid off so he could get to the rod making class at Hooked. We tried to catch some whitefish near the marina and couldn't even coax a bite. Finished up by jigging for macks straight out from the marina, again with no takers. It was a long day, with fine company; but we sure could have done better with the macks.

And yes, we did get a good chuckle watching you drag your boat up the ramp!
[signature]
It sounds like you guys had the hot hand today. Sometimes it pays to have a few different colors of jigs and be willing to give them a try when the old reliable stuff doesn't work. Last year I stopped by Pugstone's store at Bear lake and talked to one of the guys about jigs, the jig you used today was the one he recommended. I have had luck with it when nothing else would work. Did you try deeper or shallower water? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Another day at the Bear, huh? I talked to polokid at the rod class and he said it was a tough day of fishing. did you bring some of those whites home? Did I give you the coordinate to the humps down by the pump house? Where were you and how deep were you?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Technical"][size 3][#0000ff]Thanks Kent for hosting Polo and I, wish we would have brought more luck to your boat. It was nice to get out and enjoy the water and company. [/#0000ff][/size][/font]

[font "Technical"][size 3][#0000ff]Great to meet you MuskyHunter, I must have been pulling Kent's vehicle up the ramp at the time cause I missed your accident. But I did see Polokid show me how flexible his white fish rod was. He gave it the ugly stick bent tip to butt. . . the first time it was fine but the second time was a little much cause it broke in half. Maybe HFT can help make it into a nice ultralight ice fishing rod. [/#0000ff][/size][/font]

[font "Technical"][size 3][#0000ff]Anyway, thanks again for the trip guys I enjoyed it. [/#0000ff] [/size][/font]
[signature]
Even though we didnt land any macks, i had a great day with some great company. I had never fished with Kent before and never met Dan. But those 2 guys were great to hang with for the day. I will gladly go fishing with them again. I hope to make it up to Star Valley to do some brown fishing sometime wiht plecto. But Kent thanks for a great day on the water!!! And yes the rope boat incident was funny, and I think i am just going to retire the ultra light!!!!
[signature]
BLM, we fished depths from about 50 feet to almost 120 feet (briefly). I'm not sure where the pump house is, but we fished the coordinates that you gave to me in the extreme south end of the lake (also quite a ways to the east), and the water depth there was about 115 feet. I believe that I entered your coordinates correctly into my gps. Unlike Muskyhunter, we didn't see many fish on the fishfinder yesterday.
[signature]
We marked a lot of fish in 72' from 1030-130 but not alot before then.I had several fish take a close look at the jig then just swim off[unsure],we also tried straight out from the marina for a little bit with only 1 guppy cutt.and not alot of movement on the graph!!My buddy hooked into a nice 30# but after a short battle I told him that 15#anchor and 8'of chain would probably break the line if he tightend up the drag anymore![shocked]M.H.
[signature]
Hey, I also hooked that same specie of fish -- there must be lots of them in there. I did catch a nice sucker over on Cisco Beach, which I kept and fileted for bait. It appears that we should have hung around Gus' Point a little while longer. We move on just about the time that the fish showed up.
[signature]
Whould you be willing to share the GPS coordinates with me?? I am going up next Saturday with MGB on my newly acquired formerly Known as TEROY's GREEN TRI HULL Boat.
[signature]
Hi Kent,

I actually talked (very briefly) to you on Sat. I was in the red lund SSV off Cisco Beach and didn't recognize you until you and the other guys anchored and started jigging. We started off with my motor not starting at the marina even though I tested it the night before. (Loose connection on wire between selenoid and starter). Anyways, we fished the marina from about 8:30 to 9:30 and I caught 5 whitefish and one nice cutthroat. Action was slow so we pulled the boat and trailered it around to Cisco Beach. We launched at the ramp and were only fishing about 10 minutes before you pulled up and asked what we were catching. If I would have known it was you I would have introduced myself. Anyways, the whitefish were biting well, but they were smaller than we wanted so I ended up moving off the tip of South Eden Canyon right after that wind settled down. I was looking for rocky areas along the shoreline but with the water that low there is very, very little rock. However, we were persistent and found just a little area about 20 yards wide with rock going out to about 7 feet of water. That was the ticket. We caught our last 11 whitefish in less than a half hour and all were between 1.5 and 3 pounds! No trout though. However, our friend in the 14' Gregor with a 25 hp Merc motor caught one cutt about 6 lbs. and a mac about 10 pound jigging for those whitefish with ultralight gear, 1/16 oz. jigs and 4 lb line!. It was a hoot to what him fight that mac on such light line. We never made it to the rockpile, but in another post to this board they mentioned that they were using black tubes. All I can say is welcome aboard! I ALWAYS start fishing with black then change if I don't do well. In fact all the whitefish both my partner and I caught were on black twister tail 1/16 ounce jigs. If black doesn't work then I will usually try blue, purple, or dark green. I admit that white is the most popular color, BUT I think that is a fisherman's choice. Macs and cutts typically feed on sculpin which live close to the bottom. These sculpin are are dark in color, thus my choice for tube jigs. When the cutts and macs feed on cisco heavily (as they will in the next month) then white may be a better choice. Lastly, to avoid a rash of response telling me I'm nuts....I have had some days that white is the only color I can catch fish on.
[signature]
Sorry, but you need to request them from the source.
[signature]