Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Day of sturgeon fishing?
Yesterday was a beautiful day. The weatherman said trust him it was going to be great and it was. I got to the launch at 7:30 and the air temp was 35 and I don't know the water temp. There was a couple duck hunters and some deer hunters that were there also launching. I got to the hole a little late but no one else was there.
The river was up a little so getting into the hole was a little more tough but not bad. The water was full of seaweed and I was afraid it was going to do nothing but foul my line.

I baited up and headed for the bottom. I haven't been using my fish finder in that hole because I have seen better catches without using it. I don't know if they can sense it or what but I know the hole pretty well. I fished the bread and butter side and nothing. Well that was odd. So I head for my second choice and it was really slogged in with seaweeds. But I hooked up with fish number 1 there. He was a small 4 foot long fish with a lot of gumption but didn't want to dance so no tail walking for him.

I fished there for a bit longer and noticed a trail of bubbles coming my way. The trail was about 20 foot long and BAM, I had fish number 2 on. I know that sturgeon gulp air to help them to regulate in the water column but it looked like this guy had smelled the bait was was releasing a little air to go down to the bottom. It was awesome. This fish was about 5 foot and fought hard but no tail walking.

I fished another 4 hours and never got another bite. I finally just had enough and took off. This might be my last trip for the year. I guess it depends on the weather. I am at 48 sturgeon for the year. I wanted to get to the number 50 fish today but couldn't get it done. Ron
[signature]
Bummer on not making your goal for the year of 50 fish, but still you got a couple. I hear ya on the cold weather moving in it makes it difficult to get back out. I am planning on at least one more trip this week myself. If the weather holds out maybe two. Then time to park the boat for the winter.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nicely done. No apologies necessary. The fish and the goal will be there next year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes they will, and you will have to be up here when the fishing is good. Ron
[signature]
[#0000FF]Planning on it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]
[signature]