Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garage Gator Lift and Pontoon Storage
Needed additional space to store NFO Avenger XX with pontoon, frame, standing platform, lean bar, seats, oars, and aluminum deck with motor mount; so researched and purchased a Garage Gator electric winch with 220 lbs. capacity.

Garage Gator was not that difficult to install once I located ceiling joists (tricky because my garage is dry-walled). I also double-reinforce everything to secure motor and lift to garage ceiling – it would sure ruin my day if it fell on my car.

The NFO Avenger frame, standing platform, and motor mount deck all nest neatly together. I cut a 2x4 in half and attached 3 Garage Gator cables to 2x4 using included carabineer clips. The nesting of the Avenger frame and gear, coupled with the cables to 2x4s, secures the entire pontoon so it can be stored out of the way. The electric winch makes it a breeze to raise and lower for easy access.

Very happy with outcome, and wife is happy that stowing new pontoon boat did not take up any valuable shelf space in the garage.

[inline "Garage Gator 1.jpg"]

[inline "Garage Gator 2.jpg"]
[signature]
Very nice
[signature]
Cool, thanks for posting.

Did you see anything that stores a small toon/tube in the semi deployed state to the ceiling? I was advised it was better to store the pontoons with just enough air to loosely keep the shape.
Thought about 2 hooks on the ceiling to the points and a crossbar/attachment and ratchet pulley at the other end... It stays warm down South, so these are for backup when taking along company, not seasonal storage...

Thanks,

Pon
[signature]
Depending on your garage, I would think vertical close to a wall. You can stow them deflated, you should just roll them up rather than fold as folding causes creases. Specially with vinyl.
I suck all the air out of mine so I can stow them in duffel, but we do have a few, plus 14' boat/trailer and the 12' flat bed for bigger pontoons. We lean the empty trailer against the wall. Works great.
We use to hang our soft inflated pontoons horizontally above our vehicles, but even with slight weather changes, they could loose a little air. To the point they would hit the vehicles. So we hang frames from walls and bag the rest.... All 6 of them[laugh]
[signature]
For the last two years I've left my float tube partially inflated and hanging vertical from the wall using a strap and J-hook screwed into stud. That worked well all year round, and like you say it took seconds to pull it down and throw it in the car for quick trips to local, small lakes or for friends to use.

I'm not quite ready to put away all three of my 'toons for the season, but when I do, I'll store them on the electric lift up and out of the way.

I'm lucky to have a high garage ceiling so when the lift is raised, I still have 7.5 ft. of clearance to walk under the frame and 2x4s.
[signature]
We don't have the fancy "electric" lifts (spoiled [laugh]) but when we built the garage we had a full sized boat so tall. Here is the 10' XX hanging vertically and the Renegade in the rafters on rollers. Sorry for the mess, the garage has been cleaned up big time.
[Image: IMG_4156.jpg]

We are still ready for quick trips with the Assault, the XX and the two Predators in one of these each
[Image: IMG_4233.jpg]
And the X5 the frames are in the rafters, the lean bar, pontoons are in these. However the whole frame broke down fits in as well, nice to leave the frame set up\
[Image: IMG_2467.jpg]

Warmer months including spring and fall, this gets parked in the garage and I park in the driveway
[Image: IMG_2957.jpg]

Got to admit, that electric winch sounds wonderful, both for boats and bikes.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Got to admit, that electric winch sounds wonderful, both for boats and bikes.[/quote] The Assault XX is stored on a hand-crank 4x4 lift (Racor Heavy-Lift). After two years of cranking that up and down, I decided to spring for the electric winch for the Avenger XX. Need to save my strength for fining and rowing [Wink]
[signature]
During summer months the toons are strapped on the trailer ready to go at a moments notice. During the off season (winter) I keeps the pontoons with bladders in doors in my crawl space where temps are more controlled. This year the frames got banned to the garage. Trailer folds up for the winter to make space in the garage for other things.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]During summer months the toons are strapped on the trailer ready to go at a moments notice. During the off season (winter) I keeps the pontoons with bladders in doors in my crawl space where temps are more controlled. This year the frames got banned to the garage. Trailer folds up for the winter to make space in the garage for other things.[/quote]
Any reason why you think the skins and bladders need to be in a controlled enviroment?
[signature]
I've always stored them that way. No other reason than that.
[signature]
Thanks for posting info and pics, folks.

When stored long term, mildew can be an issue in humid climates- especially if pockets of moisture are trapped within the bladders/skins...

Pon

[quote albinotrout]I've always stored them that way. No other reason than that.[/quote]
[signature]
That is very true. All the NFO in the pictures are Bladderless. A huge plus when buying a tube/toon. Also no sand or other debris to get in the zippers as there are non.
[signature]
Just one more photo showing the hand-crank lift where I store my Assault XX and other equipment. It is 4x4, can handle up to 200 lbs (I probably have no more than 125 lbs on mine) and it hangs directly over my work bench, so out of the way.

Piece of cake to crank down, but requires some muscle to crank up. I'll often use a power drill to do the heavy lifting, but that's not always convenient.

Either one is a winner in my book -- just make sure you double or even triple spec the attachments to your rafters.

Please ignore the pink flamingo -- it is an ongoing joke at our house and from time to time mysteriously appears on neighbor's lawns.

[inline "Hand Lift.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice! And I love Pink Flamingos. We have one too[Smile]
[signature]
So you are the neighborhood trickster?
[signature]