Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report 12/9/03
[size 1]BEAR LAKE FISHING REPORT 12/9/2003.

Fishing for both cutthroat and lake trout has only been fair this past week. Anglers jigging off the rockpile have had some slow days, with the best action coming on large (4-5") tube jigs tipped with cisco or sucker meat jigged right on the bottom. If the rockpile is slow, it may pay to move over to the east side off the pump house or off the drop-offs around 1st and 2nd points. Experiment with different colors until you find one that works the best. I talked to several boats who were trolling this week and they caught fish off the east side around the South Eden and North Eden canyon mouths. Lures fished off downriggers set within 5 feet of bottom and trolling at very slow speeds have been the most productive. The best lures have been minnow imitations.

The Bonneville whitefish are in the middle of their spawning run and the fishing has been good. Anglers fishing from boats along Cisco Beach have been having good success by jigging for whitefish. Anglers are using small jigs in the 1/16 to 1/8 ounce size. Some anglers are tipping their jigs with a small piece of worm. Make sure to fish the jig right along the bottom. Try anchoring in about 15 feet of water and casting towards shore. Some days the fish seem to be very aggressive and other days the bite is very light. You may also want to consider jigging along the weed beds on the west side of the lake in about 20 feet of water south of Gus Rich Point to the rest area or off the "pump house" area south of 1st Point on the east side of the lake. Cutthroat and lake trout will follow the whitefish in to feed on both them and their eggs and trout can be taken along with the whitefish.

Bonneville whitefish put up a scrappy fight and can run up to about 3 pounds, but average about 1 pound. The whitefish meat makes excellent eating either fried or baked or you can even smoke whitefish for a great holiday treat. The limit on whitefish is 10 fish, don’t feel guilty about keeping a few to make a good meal. Finally, if you are fishing from a boat and there are shore fishermen present, be courteous and give them enough room to make their casts. Boats are a lot more mobile than anglers fishing from shore.

Fishing from shore by casting with spinning and fly tackle in the early mornings off the Utah State Park marina has also been producing some nice cutthroat trout and the occasional lake trout, however, whitefish fishing has been slow. There have been a few shore fishermen and float tubers fishing along Cisco Beach and they are catching a few whitefish.

The Utah State Park will not be plowing the boat ramp at the marina since it is too steep for the plow. You may consider bringing some rock salt or sand just in case you cannot get your truck and boat back up a snowy or icy ramp. The State Park has de-icers running in the marina and the boat ramp is open for all sizes of boats. Smaller boats may be launched off the shore at several points around the lake, however, a 4-wheeled drive vehicle is recommended. The new "low water only" concrete launching ramp along South Cisco Beach has been a good spot to launch smaller boats in that area.[/size]
[signature]
[Smile][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Hi there BearLakeFishGuy, I just want you to know that I think it is really great of you to post your reports the way you do. I really appreciate your effort and helpful information. I was really glad to meet up with you the day after Thanksgiving at the BearLake Marina with Old Coot. Keep up the good work and I hope to meet up with you again.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] Thanks [/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the report BLFG, we look forward to your weeky reports. Do you post the same report on any other site? WH2
[signature]
As always great report. I know where most of the places you mentioned are located but not all of them. Is there somewhere that one can get a map (online or otherwise) that identifies these locations?
[signature]
The BLFG strikes again! Once again thanks for the great report.

I think the same report is available on the DWR webpage.
[signature]
WH2, I believe he posts the same, or a similar version on the DWR site.

Its a real treat to have users here who work in the fish and game, such as biologists like BLFG. Or the sport fisheries coordinator Tom P. But we also have users who are involved in running the BASS clubs, and recenlty we have attracted users who are involved with running the rocky mountain anglers assoc.

These individuals have devoted countless hours day in and day out to improving utahs fisheries, and to have thier knowledge of the fisheries, here on BFT has value beyond what most of us may realize.

Not only that, but the rescources that we have here extend into the tackle industry, HFT has proven to be not only a great scource of fishing reports, and helpful tips here, but has brought depth to the site with his willingness to hold rod building classes, ice fishing classes, ect.. We have users who work in the state parks dept, and boat mechanics, the list goes on.

And theres many more contributions and rescources out there not to mention the many users with incredible skills who are willing to share with the users here at BFT.
[signature]
The report I have posted on the BFT site is the same that is sent to the UDWR which they post on their site. Sometimes the DWR takes several days to post the report so reading it here is actually more up-to-date.
[signature]
I thought your reports were the same as the ones on the DWR site but I thought I would ask, thanks again for the time you take to keep us up to date . WH2
[signature]