Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadwood Ice Fishing?
Anyone here ever bothered to ice fish at Deadwood?

I'm pretty sure none of the roads are groomed for sleds (correct me it I'm wrong please) so it would be a long day getting to/from the place, in addition to drilling the hole, etc.

Just curious.
[signature]
The roads are groomed from landmark to stanley. The lodge has winter caretakers and is open. The water rises throughout winter so the shore tends to be the most dangerous part. Remember the reservoir is low elevation so even when theres 10 feet of snow around the mountains to make sure it is actually safe. Deadwood pass becomes inaccessible to vehicles long before the ice is safe.
[signature]
We used to ice fish deadwood 20 years ago...we would snowmobile in from the the garden-valley side over scott mt... we had to break trail in back then don't.. know if they groom up there these days.... but we had some good days for cutthroat and even a few Atlantic salmon... but i remember it being a very long day fishing and snowmobiling... but then i was a lot younger back then[frown]
[signature]
[quote hizah]The roads are groomed from landmark to stanley. The lodge has winter caretakers and is open. The water rises throughout winter so the shore tends to be the most dangerous part. Remember the reservoir is low elevation so even when theres 10 feet of snow around the mountains to make sure it is actually safe. Deadwood pass becomes inaccessible to vehicles long before the ice is safe.[/quote]

I had no idea the roads were groomed from Landmark to Stanley. I don't suppose you know HOW OFTEN they groom them? (Regularly, like once a week?)

Good point on water level rising during winter months up there.

As for safety of the ice, I know Deadwood is higher elevation than Cascade by about 500' or so. So if Cascade is good, Deadwood should be even better...I think.
[signature]
you can only snowmobile in there now. i tihnk they groom landmark stanley weekly depending on new snow fall. if you are a rookie snowmobiler i would go through lowman/bear valley to get there whcih is groomed. scott mtn555 is not groomed and the backside of scott mtn can slide with a lot of snow and cant get in there that way some years.also alot of fresh snow will be very tough to get over the top. lets just say you wont catch atl salmon there anymore but will get some kokes cut and rainbow trout. know some who have caught 5+lbers through the ice and even a 7+ but be ready for a full day to get in and out plus fishing. also never had an issue with water on the edges until early march when the snow starts melting.
[signature]
Yes, it would take a lot of ambition to spend a day ice fishing at Deadwood taking into account travel time to and from. Heck, it takes a lot of ambition to spend a SUMMER day there! If I go, I would almost certainly go in via Warm Lake road. Or maybe from the Bull Trout side. NO WAY would I attempt a journey up Scott Mountain!

Now, if I wanted to be extremely adventurous I'd spend a night there and sleep in a self-built snow cave -- like I used to do in my younger years as a boy scout. I'd like to say I still have that kind of zeal. But, in all honesty, I'm not sure I still do. Plus, you're a LONG way from help if its needed. Definitely not a solo kind of trip.
[signature]
Back in the day there was a forest service cabin or guard station you could rent for near nothing a night.... had fire wood and propane... don't think that's the case anymore... As for the lover of smallies... LETS JUST SAY, unless you have caught them all, there should still be Atlantic salmon in deadwood...
[signature]
lets just say that i have 1st hand knowledge about atl salmon in deadwood.fish and game planted them in 2 lakes in idaho a few times in the early 90s. bull trout res and deadwood res in exchange from maine for kokanee.they didnt do good at all. f and g switched to chinook salmon since they do better.most landlocked salmon dont live 20+ years in idaho mtn lakes. lets just say i know who caught state record in 95 fish and game had only seen 1 other 10lber caught in a weir trap in the 90s. also i have fished deadwood yearly in the summer and several winter trips and have not heard or seen another in 15 yrs.pretty safe bet you wont catch another one and the record will stand
[signature]
Try Deadwood Outfitter's Facebook page.
[signature]
Must be a few chinook in there... Glad they took hold. Why was there interest in Atlantics? Do they get bigger?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater
[signature]