Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New pontoon need help with id
I got this pontoon for free from a family member. They didn't have any info on it. I was wondering if someone could help with the id. I searched online with no luck. It has a wood platform and a mount for a trolling motor and a swivel seat bolted in the center. Only the front is open. Is it possible it's just a homemade frame with the Colorado toons on it?
[signature]
It does lool like a homemade frame on it. Never seen a colorado with square tubing on it. Inflate it and see how it holds air and how it looks set up. Like to see a couple of pics of this one.[cool]
[signature]
Here is a picture of the frame. I have it torn apart to paint the frame as soon as I pull my other winter project out of my garage. The one bag is torn so I have to purchase some new ones. The bladders are in good shape. I will post some pics once I get the frame painted and the new platform cut for the top. I just hope it will hold my weight.
[signature]
Square Tubing is not stock. I am thinking you are correct. Love to see it put together and inflated. That could answer a lot. Didn't the person that gave it to you know?
[signature]
Absolutely home made. No idea why the side are so high. See that as problematic. No oar holders and they are a must at some point. Flat frame will have you sitting higher which screams oars[laugh] and longer fins.
[signature]
They were moving and it was sitting in their barn and didn't want it anymore. It came with two oars in good condition that are pretty long that and reach from the top. I just need to find some new holders. It was missing one oar holder. The toons sit on the bottom of the frame under it. With the swivel chair it sits to high to use fins. it would be oars or trolling motor only. The battery box was already setup. I am going to build some rod holders on it and a spot to hold all my gear.
[signature]
Sounds like you got a plan. All that is left is pfd and open water[laugh]
[signature]
Ok I can see tha sides may be problematic as well. If you want to ditch the heavy wood goto metal supermart and get some aluminum sheeting or diamond plate out of their seconds area.
[signature]
I was thinking about going to metal. I just cut out a new sheet of plywood for it that I had laying around. I am going to waterproof it and see how it works for a trip. I am restoring a boat right now also a 16' performer fiberglass boat. Funds are a little tight because of that. If the wood is to heavy I will pick some metal up in the spring.
[signature]
I don't understand the deign of the frame. I get that the builder wanted to widen the boat and not a bad idea. but the side pieces don't make sense.
I had a flat frame on one of my boats and the advantage was you were sitting on top the pontoons as apposed to between them.
You should be able to still use fins which trust me is needed at times. The diameter of those toons are not that big.

I am thinking that front bar is for your feet, and it would be much nicer if there were a break in the middle so you can walk straight out without trying to step over.
Here is the flat frame I had
[Image: CardiacFrame3-1.jpg]

I ended up putting a solid aluminum deck with outdoor carpeting to keep the heat down.
[Image: CC3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1037.jpg]

Still would be nice to see the whole bot put together.
[signature]
I will post some pictures of how it was it is setup. I don't have the right parts to inflate the tubes. Does anyone know where to get the bags for the bladders? I cant find any searching Google.
[signature]
Bags for the bladders?
[signature]
Sorry I don't know the proper name for them. The covers that go over the inflatable bladder.
[signature]
Here it is without the pontoons. My garage is a little cramped with my other boat but under the open spots is where the pontoons sit.
[signature]
Gotcha, they wanted a small bass boat. I would look at Venture Outdoors for new pontoons. They make harder pontoons that will not puncture like vinyl or urethane. I would also recommend going no less than 9' for balance.
It is more a boat than a pontoon. You will need to license it for a motor.
[signature]
I am going to put a small minn kota trolling motor on. Then I shouldn't have to license it then. I found one company that sells the bladder skins. It currently has 9' pontoons.
[signature]
[quote Jermiller]I am going to put a small minn kota trolling motor on. Then I shouldn't have to license it then. I found one company that sells the bladder skins. It currently has 9' pontoons.[/quote]

Assuming you are in Idaho, You DO have to license it with ANY kind of motor. Even a hand mixer.
[signature]
You are right. That sucks that I have to with a trolling motor. I might as well throw a 6hp mercury that came with my other boat on it then.
[signature]
Use both! The gas to get from point A to B and the electric to hold in the wind or move very slowly. Get your moneys worth.
[signature]