Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Test Dec 20 2013
I had a chance to take the Pontoon out for another trial run with the drive lowered and a rudder installed.

A few comments on the new set up.

The rudder worked well for steering but the design was both too weak to hold up and I didn't get a chance to set it up to be "stiff" so that I didn't have to hold it the entire time.

I'm going to copy the way a MinnKota motor works with an adjustable tension for my rudder in the future so I can just set it for straight or turn and leave it be.

Directional control has to be achieved or this won't be worth while. But as well as my simple rudder worked (and as well as the oar works as just a rudder) I think it's a matter of spending the time to do it right.

Now that I've had it out a few times, I think I can comment on what will and will not be possible and some definite advantages and diSadvantages over other propulsion systems.

Vs Oars:
So far I have never used the oars for propulsion on this toon and I never would. Without having to use them, the entire side of the Toon is free for pole holders, etc.

I can go faster with less expended energy than rowing -- and I'm hands free.

The only downside is the building cost. I'm in for about $350.

Vs. Motor
Here there are more trade-offs.

On the water a motor definitely has the convenience advantage. Pedaling is another required activity so doing that while trying to tie fishing knots or swap lures isn't as easy (but it is possible).

There is an exercise factor to the pedals. I am not in good shape at the moment and can still pedal for three hours and feel like I can stay longer, but I was also sweating like a pig under all the clothes I wore. It is more like dressing for a casual bike ride than sitting fishing.

The cost is about the same for a pedal drive and a motor with a nice battery, so I'd assume most people would probably choose the motor.

I'd like to get with someone who has a motorized pontoon and just see how they actually compare side by side.

What I think the pedal toon is very well suited to is slow dragging deep rigs for walleye, bass, or those big Cutts up at Scofield.

Dragging flies is also easy.

I don't think it's going to be practical to troll a rapalla around all day at 1.75+ MPH.

Getting from A to B is about as fast as I go in my Tube with the motor. I imagine a motorized toon would be faster, but not by a long way.

Perhaps the biggest advantage is for lakes where motors are prohibited. The pedals are much more efficient than fins or oars.

Here are some launching pictures:
[inline "Launching at DC Dec 20 2013.jpg"]

[inline "Launching at DC.jpg"]
And here's a quick video (unfortunately I caught a fish about 30 seconds after putting my phone away so I didn't get it on camera).
[signature]