Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Respect the Stuff Man!
My dad always told me there where only 3 things you never lend out.
1. Your chainsaw
2. Your lawnmower
3. Your woman

He would tell me that no matter what, they would never come back the same.
Last week a good friend asked if he could borrow some of my ice fishing gear. I didn't even flinch. Power auger, Vexilar, ice fishing rods. He also borrowed my friends brand new quick fish double tent. He forgot to screw it down to the ice and when the wind came up a guy tackled it half way down the lake as it rolled bye. Well I asked him how everything went and he told me my new auger was hard to start and they had to crank on it hard to get it to start. At first check it all looked fine, until I got out on the ice Saturday and felt the starter mechanism break and then the starter rope snap in my hand. Do you know how many years I have siphoned money off paychecks hiding from mama to finally acquire nice gear? Feeling somewhat frustrated and in a funky position to go back and ask what the heck? In either case I think I will add one more thing on the list that I won't lend out again.

4. Ice fishing gear!

Back to the heart attack hand auger until parts come!

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better already.

Happy fishing.
[signature]
Lesson hard learned, eh. I always go with the "you break it, you bought it" but sometimes hard to bleed blood out of a turnip.
So, early in the season too.
There is still the Falls.[Wink]
[signature]
The falls are even froze over!
[signature]
Oh that sucks guess that's how ya determine who to lend stuff too, Most of my close friends who borrow stuff bring it back in the same condition it left in and if it was damaged get it fixed or replace it. I have always thought if you cant afford to buy it don't borrow it. Sorry for your bad luck Sad
[signature]
Been fishing through the ice for 50 yrs. I have learned through others expenses and experiences as well as my own; never ever let anyone use your ice fishing equipment unless you know them and their habits as well as you know your own.

Many people have good intentions but they just don't understand, especially when it comes to augers. I have seen and heard too many stories of ruined auger blades because some seem to think you have to slam them into the ice to get started cutting or they seem to think that protecting that razor edge is not important.

I would rather walk a block to help a guy cut a hole rather than let him borrow my auger.

I used to have an old hand auger that I didn't care too much about and was a bit more free with. It didn't cut too well so they stopped asking to borrow it. OH! I still have the ax i used to use ( i never knew what an auger was when I started out) I would loan that out.

As for the other stuff, rod in mind; I have $90 invested in each rod and reel combo. That doesn't get loaned out either

If someone wanted to use my ice skimmer, I would probably let him if he stays with in sight.
[signature]
Oh wow, that's rough. I had to make a similar rule myself. The worst part is that if something does happen, not only does your equipment not work, but then whatever your relationship to the borrower before, it is strained at best. Hopefully you can get your auger fixed without throwing your life savings at it. [pirate]
[signature]
I wont ever let anyone borrow my ice fishing stuff but.....

last year I had a weak moment and let some guys on Bear Lake borrow my auger to drill a few holes. When they brought it back they gave me about 10 budlights and my auger back so that was worth it!!!!!![sly]
I learned this lesson about two years ago. I lent an auger to a buddy. When I got it back, the blades were bad as if someone took a grinder to them, pull string was missing, and the handle on my strike lite was broken (its a high impact plastic) He was nice enough to just hand me a check with the auger when returned but gosh, the thing was less than a year old. It's running nice now.
[signature]
I so agree with you lent my Nills out a couple of years ago to some dinks that had no clue of what they were doing. The blades came back bent, and even the slightest bend on a Nills is horrible. I will never lend my hand auger and forget touching my Jiffy, I will be happy to drill holes for anyone though[Smile]

Very good post by the way--we can all learn from it.

OC
[signature]
Agreed! Good Karma comes your way for helping others fish. Just hoping for that one state record fish [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Y'all need to re evaluate your friends. My good buddies there isn't a thing I own I wouldn't loan to them since I know they will take care of it like their own and vice versa.
[signature]
Sadly accidents happen, just depends on how they handle it
[signature]
Heh, I just ordered a Nils auger and after reading all the comments I'm going to be extra careful not to ruin it myself Smile

As far as lending things out: I think I'm still willing to lend things, but may be more diligent about teaching people how to use it now. Also making it clear how I treat my own stuff since I treat some things better than others.
[signature]
And don't lend out your Velveeta!
[signature]
That stuffs worth gold with all the games on!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]And don't lend out your Velveeta![/quote]

Never a good idea to "lend" perishables. But maybe velveeta doesn't count as perishable? The idea, to "borrow" a cup of sugar? Seriously, who ever retuns that?

Somethings don't get loaned, for sure. My instuments fall into that one. I was pretty put off at a benefit gig, to come " backstage " and find another musician having opened my Mandolin case and was admiring my Dragonfly. I'm sorry, I don't think so! You ask I'll show ya, even let you play it, if I'm right there, but help yourself? Talk about bad etiquette!

Let a guy at a party play my acoustic bass, next thing he's slapping and popping, and banging, and I'm cringing, and it's like, " ok, enuf". Geez dude! It's an ACOUSTIC.

I'm not inclined to "loan" gear, but I'll give it away. Guy needs a hook, sinker, or bobber - here, have it. Don't expect to get it bad, so they don't feel bad if it breaks off, snags.

The good stuff, I'll share if you're there, but to take it and go, I dunno.
Back in the old days, I specially liked the "Can I borrow a smoke?" Like I want it back when your done?!....I don't think so!

I agree on gear.
[signature]
I had a friend tell me that he doesn't loan out his guns or anything that has a motor attached to it. [Wink] I asked to borrow his weed eater and he said, "nope--it's got a motor." We laughed it off but he was serious and 5 minutes later he was over workin on my lawn...now that was cool.

Lessons learned - it's expensive living in poverty and I don't care how much a person makes per year. Equipment costs money and decent equipment isn't cheap. I take care of my gear and hope that in the process of leading by example I will teach those that aren't familiar with general maintenance and care to take notes.

I love ice fishing--Lets all have a good time!

Cheers,

Iceflyer
[signature]
I love it when people lend machinery to their neighbors. You wouldn't believe how many times I get things in my shop that were borrowed and broken by a friend or family member. I say keep up the lending $$$$$$$!
[signature]