Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideal Pontoon Power system
Not being the Ice Fisherman type, I'm keeping myself entertained with a number of winter fishing projects.

I have a couple projects that both relate to making a better Pontoon electric power system.

The goal is to offer tested improvements to the standard "minnkota + Lead Acid" battery system most use now without adding too much additional cost.

My first three items are listed here:

1) Substitute 11.1V (3-cell) Lithium-Ion packs for the Lead Acid battery. Using 6 of the cells listed below, I can make a 30Ahr battery for about $180 that weighs under 6lbs and will last several seasons. It compares to an equivalent $100 Lead Acid battery that weighs approx 35lbs.

2) Experiment with a different prop on the MinnKota 30lb Motor. Some work has been done by others on this already. The standard prop is not optimized for small toon use. Model Airplane props seem to do better. I'm going to post some numbers shortly on some static tests with different props.

3) Add a PWM controller to a standard MinnKota. This one may be a little scary as it will involve highly modifying (actually removing entirely) the motor's control system. I'm still looking at which PWM to use.

Oh, if anyone has a burned up MinnKota housing, I'd also like to experiment with a Brushless DC motor change
[signature]

MD:
There's a lot of good info (including brushless outrunner motors) under efficient electric boat topic in the boat design forums. The endless sphere forum has good info on lithium batteries, controllers and some boats. It has been possible to have rudderless, hands free steering with some designs.
Anyway, you see what has been tried and modify to your needs.
Looking forward to your postings.

Pon

[quote MasterDaad]Not being the Ice Fisherman type, I'm keeping myself entertained with a number of winter fishing projects.

I have a couple projects that both relate to making a better Pontoon electric power system.

The goal is to offer tested improvements to the standard "minnkota + Lead Acid" battery system most use now without adding too much additional cost.

My first three items are listed here:

1) Substitute 11.1V (3-cell) Lithium-Ion packs for the Lead Acid battery. Using 6 of the cells listed below, I can make a 30Ahr battery for about $180 that weighs under 6lbs and will last several seasons. It compares to an equivalent $100 Lead Acid battery that weighs approx 35lbs. Here's one under 16# : http://www.electricpaddle.com/specs.html
Hobbyists have made even lighter and less expensive systems using efficient hulls, brushless outrunners and silent tooth belt pulley reduction systems.

2) Experiment with a different prop on the MinnKota 30lb Motor. Some work has been done by others on this already. The standard prop is not optimized for small toon use. Model Airplane props seem to do better. I'm going to post some numbers shortly on some static tests with different props. Folding props have been devised which are weedless and still have high efficiency.

3) Add a PWM controller to a standard MinnKota. This one may be a little scary as it will involve highly modifying (actually removing entirely) the motor's control system. I'm still looking at which PWM to use.
If you don't mind a separate control box and wiring, this can be done easily on the high speed setting bypass.

Oh, if anyone has a burned up MinnKota housing, I'd also like to experiment with a Brushless DC motor change
The electric motor case serves as the outer housing, might make it difficult to fit a motor due to the PM stator section.[/quote]
[signature]
I do look forward to the Prop idea. Here is an older motor with wire ribbon. The controller is in this little metal box bought at Radio Shack.
[Image: Motor001.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip Pon... I'll move this discussion there.
[signature]