Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaters for ice fishing
I know that this subject has been mentioned before, but I can't find any of the old posts on it. I'm looking at getting some sort of a heater to keep me warm while on the ice. I usually use my ice tent, so is there one out there that is better than others at not suffocating me to death? I might also like to use it outside of the tent when I'm at places like Pineview, so it would have to be something that wouldn't blow out easily. I'll be asking my in-laws to get it for me for Christmas, so I guess I should be looking for something that's not too pricey either. Any suggestions? What do you all use?

-Jack
[signature]
I too have been looking at getting a little heater for my ice tent. Carbon monoxide is definately a concern. A friend has recomended Mr. Heater. It has a saftey shut off monoxide detector and uses a small coleman type propane cylinder or can be attached to a larger tank with the proper hose. I've seen a few different versions at sportsmans and cal ranch for 80-90 bucks. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of heater?
[signature]
I just bought a Mr. cooker/heater..I got it at Sportsmans for $45.00..the propane tank last for about 6hrs and it puts out some nice heat and you can cook on it to.Just crack open your door on your tent and you will be fine .iIt did a great job last week at scofield,trying at huntington tommorow..
[signature]
The Mr. Heater buddy heaters are very nice. However they can be blown out easy. If you wan't a decent combo that won't blow out, get a coleman black cat. Just make sure you crack the tent door to let air in. You won't have any CO problems if you allow for some ventilation.
[signature]
When you say combo do you mean cooker/heater? Thanks for the info..
[signature]
the coleman blackcat unit i have works great. i've used mine in my tent all night long, never had a problem . . theres no flame, no carbon monoxide, i keep a co monitor just in case . . its never went off . . . theyre designed to be used in a tent or confined space . .

sm
[signature]
Hey SM,

what did you give for your blackcat? Thanks much! BC
[signature]
I saw the Coleman Blackcat in Shopko's ad on Wednesday or Thursday for $37 (On Sale). I would be a great deal if I needed one.
[signature]
Southernman-

What is the CO2 detector like that you use? If they make them about the size of a deck of cards, then I'll have to look into picking one up. That would sure allay my fears. I have a hard time staying awake in normal conditions. I know that if I had a tent without enough ventiliation that I'd be toast.
[signature]
its an under $20 one i got at home depot, its about the size of two packs of cards . . . believe me coleman would never be able to sell the thing if it gave off any CO (carbon monoxide - not co2, carbon DIoxide) . . the packaging it comes in has a 19 year old cutie going to bed in her tent with it right next to her head . . its designed for tent use . . i got mine on ebay cause it came with the leatherette carying bag that has room for the unit, plus 2 cyllinders (+ room for the CO sensor) . . just did a search on ebay - theres a bunch of them there - 'coleman black cat' & coleman blackcat' searches . . next one i buy will be the one with blower and electronic ignition . .

sm
[signature]
CO2...hehe....I'm a law student...I haven't taken chemistry since high school. :-) Whoops.
[signature]
I like my Mr Heater,it has a CO2 detector built in,and if its tipped it shuts off.[Smile]
[signature]