Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey conditions
Has anyone been fishing to causey recently? I am going to go in 2 weeks with a friend and we have never been there before. Just looking for advice on what depths to look for and what the current deck thickness is up there. Any help would be great thanks.
[signature]
I've always fished in 60-80 fow by the dam ice fly with a waxie always works for me. Bring a flasher
[signature]
I was up there Saturday (11th), and fishing was fair to good. We marked alot of fish, but the kokes are very small and real hard to hook. Most of the fish we caught were probably 6-8" with a couple stretching the tape to 9". Deffinately not what it used to be up there.
The ice was a good 13" with about 3" more of frozen slush. After this weekends temps, the slushmight be deep. The edges were a little soft, but they always are up there. Just take a big step when you leave the bank.
[signature]
Do you fish off of the bottom in this depth or are the fish more suspended. When I hit Hyrum or mantua my best luck comes when I drop my flasher all the way down and then reel up 3 full turns and let it dead stick with an occasional twitch. I also have a setline permit so this may be a good tie to try a setline through the ice to check if the fish are suspended at a certain depth since I don't have a flasher or a fish fibber.
[signature]
my best luck is at 20-40 feet deep dead stick with the occasional boot bump if I see a school nearby I will change the depth of my lure. the reason I recommend a ff or a flasher is 1 check depth. fish like the certain depths it probably isn't proven but that is my hypothesis.
2 you know if a school is nearby and you can raise or lower your lure. I have a Marcum 2.0 showdown ice troller and I love it you can buy one for around 200 at scheels if your in slc. sportsmans also carries them but I am unaware of the price. you can also purchase them online.
[signature]
Just thinking about your set line idea. Where do you plan to try your idea? You might want to read the regs before you get too far into it. Your idea might be good but your choices of water are limited. Good Luck!
[signature]
I will have to check the regs and make sure that I am not using it on a restricted waterway but otherwise I would like to try it at bear lake, causey, the gorge and in a couple deep areas in Hyrum. I have used one once before for catfish with moderate success but I would have to custom make on for use through the ice.
[signature]
Setline fishing
Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-8
Setlines are lines that are anchored to a
non-moving object and that are not attached
to a fishing pole.
Setline permits are available for $15 at
wildlife.utah.gov and from license agents and
Division offices.
A setline permit is a 365-day permit, but
you must also have an unexpired one-day,
seven-day or 365-day Utah fishing or combination
license in order to use it (a setline permit
is not valid unless it’s accompanied by a valid
fishing or combination license).
If you’re under 12 years of age and would
like to use a setline, you must have a valid
one-day, seven-day or 365-day Utah fishing or
combination license, and a setline permit.
If you obtain a setline permit, and a Utah
fishing or combination license, you can use a
setline to take fish from the following waters:
Bear River proper (downstream from the Idaho
state line, including Cutler Reservoir and outlet
canals); Little Bear River below Valley View
Highway (SR-30); Malad River; and Utah Lake.
The following rules apply to setline fishing:
• You may not fish with more than one
setline.
• A setline may not contain more than 15
hooks.
• When fishing with a setline, you must
be within 100 yards of the surface or the
bank of water you’re fishing from.
• One end of your setline must be attached
to a non-moving object that is not
attached to a fishing pole. Your setline
must also have a legible tag attached to
it that includes your name, address and
setline permit number.
• While fishing with a setline, you can also
fish with one fishing pole. If you have a
valid second-pole permit, you can fish
with two fishing poles while you’re also
fishing with a setline.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I am glad I have not used it anywhere other than cutler marsh then so that way I was not doing so ilegally
[signature]