Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braided lines for ice fishing?
I am considering purchasing some sort of braided line(Fireline, Spiderwire,etc.)this winter for ice fishing. Does any one currently use these products and what's the pros/cons of the braided lines for ice fishing. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Midge
this question came up last year iif i remember right most people said the super braids weren't that good for icefishing as they seemed to retain water and tended to freeze stiff
[signature]
[cool][size 2]There is also the issue of visibility. The water under ice becomes extremely clear, without plankton blooms and silt. Add to that the fishes' slower metabolism and increased finickyness, and line visibility can cost you some action.[/size]

[size 2]That does not mean that you can't finish your rig with a leader of fluorocarbon or light mono. Lots of guys do...for open water fishing. But, since most ice fishing is at depths where line stretch is not a major factor...and line freeze is...a good abrasion resistant mono is a better choice.[/size]

[size 2]Like most topics, this one is subject to personal opinions. Hope you get enough input to help you formulate your own opinion, and that you are right more often than you are wrong.[/size]
[signature]
I'll second that Aquaman! I've found that braided line does retain a little water and freezes stiff. However, its been a few years and fishing technology is always moving foreward. Maybe they have some kind of hybrid super braid that I haven't heard about yet..
[signature]
I have found with winter fishing with braided is not very effective. First is it does freeze solid and doesnt wind correctly, and like most lines it gets scuffed and the biggest difference is it frays when winding through iced up eyelits.
[signature]
Braided lines? Nope. Lines like spiderwire that are braided tend to allow water in between the braided strands. That water accumulation is where your freeze and stiffness comes from.

Now, other superlines like fireline, wich are fused, not braided, dont have that problem, but it has been said that new spools of fireline have tiny split ends sticking off the line that freeze up.

Those seem to be the main arguments about superlines. BUT consider this. 90% of these guys fishing in december on bear lake use fireline. The guides on your pole freeze up, and you get the line guide on your reel freezing up, but I have never had a problem with the fireline freezing to itself, or becoming stiff. It doesnt seem like many others do either.

I have used fireline in my ice fishing with a flouro leader. In fact, its all I used last year. Never had a problem.

You may like it, you may not. Only one way to find out. You just have to try it yourself.
[signature]
I tried Fireline one winter for trout and won't try it again. My two friends each caught about fifty bows one day at Calder while I got skunked. Went back the next day with mono and slammed them. I just could not feel the subtle bites on the Fireline. Live and Learn.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Thank you to everyone that replied my post!! Your input is greatly appreciated

Midge
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It depends on your application. It also depends on what type of equipment you're using.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I use fireline to jig for macks. The advantages of strength to diameter ratio plus the no stretch characteristics provide better feel and killer hook sets but it is not very forgiving and the fish feel you as easily as you feel them. Mono has way too much stretch in deeper water for me. You'll miss more fish than you'll hook up on. There are guys that will say bull on that but that's ok; you do what you think is right for you. I've found what I think works for me.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Predator hit it on the nailhead. Braided lines absorb too much water and grow to twice their original diameter when they freeze. I've seen them in a frozen glob on a reel before but the fused lines are all together different. It will freeze a little when it's first new from the filament hairs on the line but after a little "wear-in", the line goes smooth and the freezing is no more than that of mono. Contrary to popular belief, monos do absorb water and will freeze. That's why ice monos were developed. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Now if you're fishing no more than 25' to 30' of water and the fish you intend to catch are not monsters then I see no reason why a mono wouldn't work just fine especially when panfishing. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Superlines are pricey but typically will last several years without replacing. I have line that is over five years old and it's lost all it's color but is still going strong. Try that with mono. I don't like superlines on spinning equipment. Why? It just doesn't seem to work for me. On baitcasters, I find I get along with superlines just fine in most circumstances but that's just me.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]I have found that flourocarbon is the way to go on ice. I'll go 6 or 8 lb line at Strawberry or Scofield. Down to 4lb at Utah Lake. And beef up to 14lbs at Fish Lake. [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
MIDGE,

JUST MY TWO CENTS, BUT FOR ICE FISHING I PREFER THE BRAIDED LINE, BE IT FIRELINE SPIDERWIRE WHATEVER. I USUALLY AM FISHING IN A ICE SHANTY AND IF IT IS COLD ENOUGH, I HAVE A HEATER. THAT MEANS I DON'T HAVE ANY ICE PROBLEMS. I DO HOWEVER FISH SOME VERY LIGHT JIGS FOR BIG FISH AND I DON'T LIKE THE ACTION OF 8 OR EVEN SIX POUND TEST MONO WHEN IT IS REAL COLD. IT IS TOO STIFF AND THE JIGS ARE NOT HEAVY ENOUGH TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THE LINE TO SEE THE REALLY LIGHT BITES. THE BRAIDED LINE HAS NO MEMORY AND IF IT IS WARM ENOUGH TO NOT FREEZE I BELIEVE IT IS FAR SUPERIOR.
[signature]