Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new year of Pontoon Sturgeon fishing.
Boy was it a great day to be back in my boat. I got to sugar cube creek before daylight and it was 31 degrees. I got ready and waited for the sun to come up both for warmth and navigation. I haven't went fishing since October. I got into the hole and dropped my rigs. Two hours later I get a hook up and man that fish was strong. It towed me from one side to the other and then all of a sudden it was gone. I guess I didn't set the hook hard enough. So I took the time then and sharpened my hooks and went back at it. 3 and a half hours later I get another hook up. This time I set the hook hard and set it again just to be sure. A half an hour later I got my fist look at it, and shew was a big old girl. She went back down and I had to haul her back to the top. I got her on my lap and she was as long as my rod 7 foot. She beat the crap out of me.

[Image: Snapshot73-8-20149-02PM_zps9e1a4cce.png]

[Image: Snapshot53-8-20149-02PM_zps83de58d6.png]

[Image: Snapshot33-8-20149-01PM_zpsf8bcccfd.png]

[Image: Snapshot43-8-20149-01PM_zps85a4c935.png]

[Image: IMG_0860_zpsdef54b9f.jpg]

Well I went back to the same place and 30 minuted later I am hooked up again. This one was between 5 and 6 foot but it felt like a ton because I was still whipped from the last one.
In all it was a great day. Ron
[signature]
Wow, those are monsters! I bet they give you a good ride on your pontoon. More like whaling than fishing.
[signature]
[Smile] Way to get after 'em Ron!
That is a big'un for sure.
[signature]
Way to get after them.
They are still on my list, but I wasn't aware you have to use Barbless Hooks. Okay with me as I usually do

some more rules:
[font "FranklinGothic-BookItalic"][#687e7e][size 6][font "FranklinGothic-BookItalic"][#687e7e][size 6][font "FranklinGothic-BookItalic"][#687e7e][size 6]
Idaho Sturgeon Fishing Rules
[/size][/#687e7e][/font]

[/size][/#687e7e][/font]

[/size][/#687e7e][/font]

[font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2]• [/size][/font][/size][/font][font "FranklinGothic-Book"]All sturgeon must be released unharmed.[/font]
[font "FranklinGothic-Book"] [/font][font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2]• [/size][/font][/size][/font][font "FranklinGothic-Book"]Barbless hooks are required.[/font]
[font "FranklinGothic-Book"] [/font][font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2]• [/size][/font][/size][/font][font "FranklinGothic-Book"]It is illegal to remove a sturgeon from the water. Do not[/font]

[font "FranklinGothic-Book"]

drag the fish up onto the shore for picture taking. Fish

need water flowing over their gills for respiration,

especially after the exertion of being caught.

[/font][font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font "SymbolMT"][size 2][font "SymbolMT"][size 2]• [/size][/font][/size][/font][font "FranklinGothic-Book"]Sliding sinker rigs will be required beginning in 2011[/font]

You are suppose to keep the gills in the water, which can make it hard to get a picture from a boat.
Nice job on pictures of the back.
[font "FranklinGothic-Book"]

[/font]
[signature]
It is suggested that the gills stay under water but if you look on the F&G on web page it shows people lifting them momentarily for a picture.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish...ngTips.pdf

I was under the impression that it was their weight that was the problem when people take them out of water. Their bodies are used to almost weightlessness and wen they are dragged on to land their organs can't handle the weight.
I know when I take a picture I lift them just momentarily for the picture.
Barbless hooks are not hard to deal with. I lose one once and a while like i did on Saturday but that doesn't happen very often.

The requirement for sliding sinkers is to keep the sinker from hooking into the rocks and then loosing the rig. Then a sturgeon comes along and eats the bait sticking the fish to the tangled line stuck on the bottom. In a pontoon I hardly ever have a snag that I can't get lose. But since I don't cast I use only 10 pound line for my sinker. I lose a sinker once in a while in one hole I go to rocky hole. But not very often.
Ron
[signature]
Gotcha. Thanks
I did read that the sinkers was to cut down on garbage so to speak.
[signature]
Nice looking fish. You definitely got the knack.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Wunnerful! Way to limber up the ol' rods and stretch the string.

Do you have a frequent hookup (miles) program for your pets?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The big one drug me farther than I have ever been dragged but they never leave the hole. It is more like an aquatic merry go round. You will find out your self this summer. [fishon] Ron
[signature]
[#0000FF]It's on my gottado list. We need to get our dance cards together and firm up a game plan.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I am thinking July or August. We might have a run off this year and we will have a big water event in June because of the Salmon Flush. I have seen the salmon flush go into July but I don't expect it to this year. I am thinking the last half of July Or the first part of August but I am super open so I can work with you on any time that is good for you. Ron
[signature]
That will be one hellava report for sure. Look forward to it.
I am suppose to hit Glenns Ferry in July for Family reunion. Thinking that might be a good time, you think?
[signature]
Yes for sure. Ron
[signature]
[#0000FF]Since I don't have a work/vacation schedule to worry about I can be flexible. I'll leave it up to you to watch the conditions and come up with a plan. Just let me know at least a day in advance.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
No problem/ I can't wait to see you go water skiing. [Wink] Ron
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, baby. The sturgeon slalom on one fin.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]