Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotty Mount for Anchor
Thanks to Flygoddess, KandersonSLC, and Mojorizing, I have successfully bonded a Scotty Mount to my Renegade for use with a Triple Rod Holder. First trip with it won't be 'til May in the California Eastern Sierras.

My question now...If I bond a Scotty Mount to the Renegade for use with Scotty's anchor system...will the glued bond be strong enough to stand up to lowering and raising an anchor that weighs 7 to 10 pounds?
[signature]
I wouldn't do it. Although the weight is only 10#, if you get stuck in mud, weeds, or it's a really windy day, it's a lot more than 10#. Here's how I do it.
[Image: IMG_6375.jpg]
[signature]
I use the same mount as pictured, which is a Scotty mount, on my Assault. Also used it on my Renegade for a couple seasons. It isn't as strong as a frame mount, but it works, even in the rivers. I have broken a couple of the plastic pieces that fit around the pontoon, where the straps run through. Just had to replace them, not expensive. Both cracked/broke during the heat of summer, and during transport, not while using the anchor or floating. I use a 12 pound anchor on mine, in current and on the larger rivers.
[signature]
Agreed. I wouldn't use the glue-on mount for an anchor.

What lakes are you going to hit in the Sierras? Spent a lot of time there in the 70s and still get back every few years for backpacking and fishing.
[signature]
Once again, thanks for the very useful advice. And I definitely will keep just strapping on the anchor.

I go to the Eastern Sierras each May, and from year-to-year the waters that I fish vary depending on altitude, snowpack and ice. This being pretty much a drought year here in California, I'll probably fish Twin Lakes (near Bridgeport), Lundy Lake (if Southern California Edison) doesn't reduce the water level too much to work on the dam...and probably one of the lakes in the June Lakes Loop. I love fishing Virginia Lakes, but they'll probably still be frozen in May. A couple of the lakes near the east entrance to Yosemite are probably still frozen, but I'll get on them if I can. I will probably do some stream fishing in Robinson Creek and Rush Creek. I also like to take day hikes and fish backcountry lakes. As long as I stay below 8000 feet, they will probably be ice-free.

So I'll go with a lot of possibilities in mind and then let local conditions help me determine where to go.
[signature]