Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bank fishing the snake river (with boat)
I'm looking to purchase a heavy duty inflatable boat that will enable me to access more points for bank fishing the snake river.

My intended area of operation is all accessible points between Highway 55 where it crosses the river all the way down to Strike Dam at CJ Reservoir.

My question to you all: Will a inflatable boat allow me to access more of the river for bankfishing? Or, would it make more sense for me to purchase a jon boat?

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.
[signature]
Will you be putting a motor on said boat?

If so, what kind (gas, electric, size)?

Do you intend to float down through a stretch, fish from the bank, and then get out at a different access point or do you want to return to the original access point?
[signature]
I will be adding a gas motor, not sure about the size.

I plan to fish any areas that have enough bank space for it, then return to the point I launch from when finished.
[signature]
In that case, I'd look for a aluminum boat with are relatively flat bottom (like a jon boat). Some folks really like the inflatables, but for motor propulsion, I'm personally not a fan.
[signature]
Do you mean Highway 51 at loveridge bridge? I have fished through there. If your going to launch at the bridge and go back you will need a bigger motor than a electric. At times the river can be swift through there. I would recommend you use a jon boat it would have less drag. Ron
[signature]
No, I'm referring to Highway 55 in the Nampa area where it meets the river.
[signature]
I must be a little lost from Nampa highway 55 that would be marsing right if so the stretch from marsing up stream to celebration park relatively safe, From celebration up a mile turns way more crazy, into what they call suicide bend, graveyard and uncountable bad spots, they call them sleepers because the water is slow and the rocks are flat and don't mark. Once too the pump house which is also the end of swan falls road becomes a little better but you should go with some one first also a rapid they call ranch house then plenty of sleepers and some shallow spots. Now you're at the swan falls dam, Above the dam routinely safe for about 5 to 7 river miles I believe, Then more sleepers and you should be getting close to grand view then more shallow spots and gravel bars and hard water to read. I don't know the section from grand view up to cj strike only been a couple times. Hope that helps if it was me I would look for a small jet boat, and for some one to possibly show you around.
[signature]
Sounds like basically you are talking the stretch between Marsing and CJ strike Dam, that is a big area, between Swan Falls and Celebration Park is no place for a jon boat, you need a semi-v with a 90 hp or bigger jet, there are 3 very fast rapids in that section, I know, ran it lots of times with my smaller jet sled and my bigger sled I have now, not a place for rookie's, I got it shown too me twice before I attempted that section, also had been boating the snake for 3 years prior, so be careful if you plan too fish in there..... most of the other sections should be fine, carry a rope in case you can't get up in a couple place's (sand bars, fast current area's, rocks, ect.) that way you will never be stuck stuck and not be able too get back up stream, and a jon boat is the way too go IMO, but that's all I have ever had are jon boats and semi-v jet boats, you want a 9.9 horse 4 stroke prop on a 12 ft. Jon, my buddy's uses that and fishes the crap outa the snake river with minimal issue's..... and you can fish out of it, carry a river anchor with 4 ft of chain attached and you can do most places on the river, you can get a used electric troller online for probably 100 bucks, if you have any questions about area's you can boat on the river just let me know, I know everything from Brownlee Dam too Glenn's Ferry.....
Matt
[signature]
If you have your heart set on an inflatable look at the Saturns. Basically they're a zodiac for the civilian world. My Brother in law over in Meridian bought one last year and loves it. He's floated it all over that area. Now if you're wanting to go back upstream in all that area it may be a bit more hairy. We've floated from swan falls dam down to celebration park and do use an electric motor at times, but basically only to get through the dead water areas. Otherwise we just run it like a drift boat. Plus the intention is always to pull out downstream. I guess if you didn't go through some of those rapids and paid real close attention in others you could run back up from some points. As for stability though it is sure hard to beat.
[signature]
I was turned around when you said from 55 down. Strike is UP stream form 55.
[signature]
I had never been in the area and my son and I floated it with our pontoons. The first set of rapids was spooky because we didn't know what to do but the rest after that were fun. We caught cats in the fast water, slow water, you name it. We had a blast. Ron
[signature]