Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diversion at Byington
Has anyone had or heard about any issues at the diversion that is just up river from Byington. I've heard that a few jet boats have eaten it since the mod was made. I drove over to have a peek this afternoon and it actually looks like an improvement to me.
[signature]
Doesnt look worse than it was before. As a general rule for us with our phantom, once it gets below 3000fps we stop running it because there are too many spots that shallow up that you drag bottom at. And up until previous years the shelf that runs across the bottom bend of the S curve above there usually has enough of a fall to it that you drag going up river. Be interesting to hear from some one thats been through it lately.
[signature]
Thanks for the respondse B, I have a 16 ft Alumaweld Talon.. Kinda new to the jet boat thing. I've only been thru the diversion once.. And that was with a person that has river experience. Flow may have been around 5000..the diversion as always been my biggest concern.
[signature]
Just watched the local news.. Seems that there is a problem since the canal company put the new rocks there at the diversion. New quoted the guys at River Rat and indeed there has been at least five boat that have hit rocks at that spot. Be careful if you are running a jet thru that area!!
[signature]
X, tried to watch the video News 8 did but it won't load here at work. Guessing when the canal co put in the rip rap they had a big rock that got away from them and it is sitting in the middle of the channel. Prob won't be an issue once they bring the river up. I know some guys will run it when its lower than 3000FPS but to me there are too many spots that are so shallow it isn't worth tearing your boat up when you can get to most spots by wading. Also something to consider is if you are running an out board the foot sticks down a bit and can get torn off going across a couple of the shelves up there. The worst runs diagonal across the bottom of the S curve just above byington. Its gotten better the last couple years with the gravel bar that has developed on the bottom curve which narrowed the channel keeping more water over the big shelf thats there. But when the water is low it can be pretty tough to get through it with out dragging bottom.
[signature]
I think I've heard that area referred to as "Hells Kitchen".
[signature]
Hells kitchen is several miles up stream .
[signature]
went and loooked saturday.its nasty,i wouldnt even run your boat through there!its just a chute with alot of rocks below the surface,tall rocks! when the water comws up you will have a world class rapid deepcreek
[signature]
I watched the news report and interview. I understand the need to provide water for their canal. What I don't understand is why they aren't' responsible for changes that they made to the navigability of the river. Seems like they could still get water to the canal and have an area that is safe for boats to go through. If it is rocks from an old diversion, they should be responsible to remove the ones that are now hazards. IMHO a water right does not equal doing whatever you want without responsibility for those actions to other stake holders.

Okay, I'm better now. [blush]
[signature]
I agree CP . I feel sorry for the guy they had on the news . First time out in his new boat . He had been down the river several times in different boats , no problem . They modify the diversion and create a safety havard and are not responsible ?
[signature]
I wonder what it is going to do with the drift boats in higher water? To many will get surprised and swamp a bunch of boats.

Les hope for 30,000 cfs plus flows and a few trees to modify it .

[:/][fishon]
[signature]
iwonder if they got a permit from the corps of engineers to mess with that diverision?i was toid that you need one to mess with any water way in the united states. they have an office at the idaho dept of water resources in idaho falls
[signature]