Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Lowell
Anyone willing to share advice on shore fishing here? I am going to be working up in Boise for the next 6-8 months, so all my fishing plans I had for this spring/summer have gone down the drain. Im mostly a bass fisherman, but enjoy most all species. I'm going to do some scouting around in the next few weeks, better than sitting in a hotel room.
[signature]

Welcome to Idaho.

The regulations at Lowell strange as many areas get closed. Make sure that you check not only the Idaho F&G rules, but the Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge also as they have bird nesting areas that they close.

http://www.fws.gov/deerflat/recreation/fishing.html

Do some searches on the site for some other good places like CJ (CJ Strike) or Swan Falls. There is a lot of good fishing along other areas of the Snake too, but I don't know what the access is.
[signature]
Thanks cpierce! I'll check those areas as well.
[signature]
I forgot to mention: Do a search for Lowell posts by Smartweed. He wades the shoreline to fish there.
[signature]
Will do. I'll put updates on my progress as well
[signature]
The water level on the lake at present is only around 56%. I took a walk out there yesterday, and the water in front of my house is only at the outside edge of the willows. There is plenty of dead smartweed beds for cover, but they are only in a foot or two of water. There are probably other areas where the water extends into the willows a bit.

The NY Canal is shut down at present, so the level will not get higher until irrigation starts. And then it depends on how much farmers need to irrigate early in the season as to whether the lake will fill more or not.
[signature]
Quick update.
Have fished Lowell twice with no success so far. Talked to a few folks who said they have been catching some decent largemouth. Hope to hit it this week again.
Fished Strike one evening and had some success on some decent smallies. Saw and caught several of the crazy amount of perch folks have been talking about.
Also fished down below Swan Falls and had alot of fun catching smallies on cranks. Still no big ones but fun none the less.
Most fish have been caught on spinnerbaits or crank baits. No love on plastics yet a few strikes but no hookups. Thanks everyone who made suggestions, it is much appreciated. Still learning while we are here, most spots are about an hour or more away from the hotel so we are limited to a night a week. Will keep updates on further adventures!
[signature]
You might look at some of the community ponds spread all over Boise for some close to home short sessions.

If it isn't in raging runoff, the Boise can be fun for an evening with trout.
[signature]