Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon on April 8, 2014
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Ah; Spring! That time of year when an anglers dreams turn to thoughts of tight lines and fish-on. Can I get an Amen?[/size][/#800000][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]

I’ve spent the last week and a half getting all my gear rounded up and assembled for this year’s maiden voyage. It started with stripping all the old line off a dozen or so reels and filling them back up with new Trilene XL in several different test weights; 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, 10lb, 12lb, and 15lb test. Then came charging boat batteries, loading all the safety equipment back in the boat, attaching the down-riggers, and going over the check list. Finally; I was ready – or so I thought. After getting to the lake, I discovered I hadn’t put any hand towels in the boat and I forgot to put the self-inflating life preservers in as well. I did have a couple of the foam vests on board, so we were still good to go.

Wiperhunter2 came along for moral support and we arrived at East Canyon about 9 AM yesterday. Air temp was just below 40 and the wind was just barely. We got launched and the motor purred like a kitten after coughing 5 or 6 times. We headed down to Taylor’s Hollow and set about putting some lines out. I opted for a couple of #5 floating Rapalas (brown trout) and Curtis went with a squid and a gold/black Rapala behind dodgers.

I had the first hit about 9:22 AM and landed a beautiful 10” planter bow. By 10 AM we had landed 5 bows and LDR’d a couple more. We continued fishing until around 1:30 PM and ended the day with 30 bows brought to the boat and about half that many LDR’d. Curtis switched over to a pink wedding ring type custom lure behind a dodger that turned out to be the hot lure of the day. He had 17 fish and I had the other 13.

Most of the fish came from just below the surface with maybe 3 or 4 from 15 to 20 feet down off a down rigger and lead core. There were some bank tanglers out as well and Curtis saw them pull in a few while we were trolling by them.

It turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day with temps in the 60s most of the day and very little wind until about 1 PM when it picked up enough to just barely cause some capping. I kept a limit of 13 to 15 inch fatties for dinner and Curtis didn’t. And finally, here is the required eye candy – pictures; my largest of the day at 15” and then my limit of 4.

[Image: P1000674_zps1f0ebf46.jpg]

[Image: P1000676_zps1f5a297f.jpg]

Life is good.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Very nice Bob. Looks like East Canyon is my target water Friday when I'm off.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Surprised you guy's caught quite a bit of small rainbows only out there. I had never had a day with small bows out of east canyon like that. I've always caught 14-18" with a few 12-13" but what ever get you outside and your enjoying the warm spring weather all counts[Smile].
[signature]
Thanks for the post,

I plan on trying to make it to EC Friday.
It will be the first trip out in the boat this year.
I might be going solo. Is the courtesy dock in place?
I purchased just one new electric downrigger, so I want
to play around with it.
I also upgraded my fishfinder late last fall, so I will be
messing with new equipment.
I could go to Pineview or Willard Bay which are closer,
but I still would like a better chance at a tug on the line.[fishon]
[signature]
[quote Trollingby]I might be going solo. Is the courtesy dock in place?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yes.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Here is a launch tip for everybody. I would recommend that you drive forward down the ramp and use the loop to the left at the bottom of the ramp to turn your boat around instead of backing all the way down the ramp. The dirt is plenty solid enough to drive on and you will save yourself and everybody behind you a bunch of time by doing so. Tight lines and good luck.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I went there with a buddy today fishing from shore got there at 6:30 am stayed until 10:00 am. caught a tottal of 7 bows pretty small ones. they were all caught on silver lures except one was on rainbow garlic powerbait. had a bunch of hits on the silver lures kept coming off otherwise we would have caught around 16 bows I would say it is really good fishing there right now there were a lot of boats trolling and they were catching alot of them.
[signature]
Enjoyed getting out there with you yesterday Bob, it was a good way to start off the trout trolling year[Wink]. I'm glad the fish decided to play, I just wish I had put on that hot lure a little earlier but it still turned out ok. After that last trout wasted my hot lure, I need to contact the guy that made it and see if I can get a replacement. Thanks for the invite my friend.
[signature]
Trollingby, I'm off Friday, the weather is forecast for nice, and I've been trying to decide what water to get out on.
Bob's post just helped me decide. Heading for the EC Friday morning. So if you see my little Tin Can puttering around, give a wave. Good luck [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool