Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CATFISH CONTEST 2014: Tin-Can
OK here is my contest starter post. Actually taking off work early today to get started. I know, a bit later than some, but I'm mostly in it for the fun and adding some kitty fillets to the freezer.

One cat caught earlier but not one for the contest:
[inline "(061) Cat.jpg"]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Having a slow time getting started with the Cats this year. Between crazy spring weather, getting work on the boat, and of course, most of the good weather days have been when I have to work.
I know Carp are not counting in the Cat contest, and this one probably isn't the biggest one posted, but here is mine from my Cutler Recon yesterday. (25 Apr 14)

Caught and photo taken at Cutler Canyon Marina.

[inline "(017d) 24 in Carp.jpg"]

[inline (010a).JPG]
[#005000]
There is a carp category, and I opened it up to sticking 'em too as well as hooking them Golden Tarpon!
24 pnts
[/#005000]

Cool
Oh-contraire, there is a Carp category. Doesn't add to any cat-totals, but more of a side-bar. Added bow-fishing to the options this year too, so ya don't gotta hook-em.
Afraid I've already got your 2-footer beat with my less than 26"er, but I fully expect to see that beat. There's some serious toad carp out there!

Just a suggestion - make your measure before you start donating them as cat-bait! [:p]
Oh I did measure before cutting for bait. The tail is there, hard to see on my cell phone camera. In fact had to pin him to the ground with my filleting knife to get the pic I did get. See photo attached from different angle.
[#005000]
need to name the location and date and your claim to length please.

I could see 25 inches extrapolating a bit.
[/#005000]

Cool
Cutler - Benson Saturday 17 May
26"
My little cell phone camera can't get the whole fish in close up enough to see the tape measure numbers, so too 3 pic same fish. Will have to get a yard stick with bigger numbers, and take my regular camera.

Dang, I just realized I didn't get the BFT sign in the photo......oh shoooot!!!

[#005000]Nice fish, glad you got out and figured them out, but alas... hate to say it - (1) need the banner (2) need to see both ends of the fish in one pic.
No problem giving me a zoom in, that helps, but do what you can to lean back and give me a full-body shot too. At least one thing I can assure you - there's more out there!
[/#005000]

Cool
OK, my first official submission for the 2014 Cat Contest.
No where near as big as all the others submitted so far, but it gets me on the board anyway. And this time with all the required info (I Think)

17 inch, Willard Bay 23 May 2104

[inline "(0227a) WB Cat 17 inch.JPG"]
[#005000]
Can't quite see your nose in the shot, but I'm going to assume you're up against a board there at the tip of the tape. Don't think anyone's going to have a cow over an under 20 entry, and it gets you on the board.

17 pnts
[/#005000]

Cool
Yea, deck area between my live well (Cats nose) and dry box ( past Cats tail) I hook the tape measure in the deck seem at the live well, and push the Cats nose up to the live well wall. It holds the tape from flipping over.
[signature]

Cool
Cat submission # 2 26 May 2014 Cutler / Benson Marina

21.5"

[inline "(036) 22 inch Cat with BFT Placard.JPG"]

[inline (035).JPG]

After looking at the close up of the tail, I'll revise that to 21.5"
[#005000]
Hate to do it, but I'm gonna have to go with 21. The tail only pic shows your half, but I can only see 21 in the full-figured kitty shot. Suggest you ease back a little farther - leave an inch or so of either end. You can always crop down, but not up.
I tend to worry more about my kitties flipping than the tape, but I get what you're saying.

21 pnts
[/#005000]

Cool
Finally, got 3 Cats on the board. Not whales, but a start.

[inline "(0233) 31 May 2014 950AM 18 inch Catfish CPR.jpg"]

Hey Yote, Think this is a solid 18 inch?

[#005000]Yes, but - where and when please.[/#005000]

Cool
Willard Bay . Saturday 31 May 2014 Freeway Bay on worms

[inline "(0232b) Freeway Bay.jpg"]

[inline "(0233) 31 May 2014 950AM 18 inch Catfish CPR.jpg"]

[#005000]Solid. Never see much more than cookie cutters from Willard. Guess all the Wiper Walleye and people pressure keeps them in check? Or the thunkers hide in the deep water (joke - there IS no deep water!).

18 pnts
[/#005000]

Cool

[#005000]Yes, but - where and when please.
Welcome to post your story on the main board, but post your entries here. Too much to cross reference, plus what posts on the contest board stays on the contest board. May board is pretty fluid you could say.
Right now the biggest Carp stands at 27, and there can be only one. No team points. Just FYI.
I'll find one over 30 to share![/#005000]

[#005000]
[/#005000]

Posted the whole story on main forum
[#005000]
[/#005000]

[#005000][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/gforum.cgi?post=883807;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...d;page=unread#unread[/url][/#005000]

Then posted the Cat for the contest in the Contest forum
[signature]

Yote, for a contest that has not much other than " "Bragging Rights" you are hard to satisfy. But, be that as it is, or as my wife always says, "it is, what it is" I will endeavor to dot all the i's and cross all the t's on my Cat Contest posts. See ya Saturday

Cool
Benson Marina 19 July 2014

I think maybe these 2 can "cull" out a couple smaller ones I've posted already?

20.5"

[inline "(065) 1120 Cat # 2 20.5 inch.jpg"]

22.0"

[inline "(068) Cat # 3.jpg"]
[#005000]
If nothing else, I endeavor to be fair. Even if it means nipping a half inch from Lava's entries. [shocked]
Plus - I've learned if I let it slip - someone else is likely to jump on it. Don't need no tizzy fits! And for a "just for fun" contest, some folks can get pretty serious when there's "competition" on the line (of some fat cats!).

Welp - ya done bumped your entries all into the 20-inch club. Some good Southern Style cats! (I mean, I mean with Zattarain's fish fry!)

20.5 and 22 pnts

Along those lines - if you have a BFT sticker on your bumper board (as you do), slap another sticker with your handle and the year, and we'll call it good. I figure - once we've seen your measuring setup enough, shouldn't cause any heartache. Long as you've got a calibrated rules, and not a "fisherman's" ruler [blush][/#005000]

Cool
[#005000]

Along those lines - if you have a BFT sticker on your bumper board (as you do), slap another sticker with your handle and the year, and we'll call it good. I figure - once we've seen your measuring setup enough, shouldn't cause any heartache. Long as you've got a calibrated rules, and not a "fisherman's" ruler [blush][/#005000][/quote]

OK Yote, I can do that. The Ruler I attached to the Bump board is a metal yard stick from a Machine Tool Company that I had attached to the side of my boat live well. But couldn't really see it there. The long marks on the board are permanent Sharpie marker, and extended straight down from the yard stick marks with a roofer square for a straight edge. If there is any deviation on that board, you would have to measure it with a close tolerance caliper.
[signature]

Cool