Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally a wiper dinner..
Well I finally caught ( a litte embarrassed to say [blush] ) my first willard wiper.. Caught 7 but only kept 2 for dinner.. What are your favorite way to prepare them ? Oh by the way the channel was packed with wipers Wednesday afternoon. I was using a white swim bait. Low and slow on the bottom work for me. Other anglers were using any type of white minnow imitation. Also wipers being caught with muscles on bottom or under a float. Only seen 1 walleye caught..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Nice haul, good to hear man. Since you got a good sized one you can chunk it up into 1 inch chunks and egg, flour, cornflakes/breadcrumbs and deep fry em., Make sure to score the lateral line out too.
Wiper are up there with walleye in my opinion on taste.
7 wipers is a good day to me.

Pm sent
[signature]
very nice catch i might have to head up there and try my luck
[signature]
Nice haul Dave, you have figured out the secret of catching wipers in the spring. Years ago I seen wipers doing a false spawn there in the channel. Were all the wipers you caught as big as the ones in your pics? You must have got there right after we left on Wens.
[signature]
Figured out ? Well I've been trying to catch them for yrs now. . So you'd think so, but I think it's more of being there at the right time. Only one big one.. I got out there around 130. Just about everyone was doing well..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Don't be embarrassed. I havent caught one, and I've taken at least one trip/year since they planted them. Do you mean the inlet channel?
[signature]
Terriyaki sauce with lemons and onions in a "tin foil boat" on the grill is my favorite way to enjoy and Wiper treat.
[signature]
Chinese style: broil the filet whole, brushed with sesame oil. Prepare sauce a head of time: 1:1:1 soysauce, brown sugar, ketchup. Add white pepper (or black pepper) ginger, and garlic to taste. Add a couple whole dried bush peppers, aka Thai or Japanese peppers, and simmer. The sauce will be dark red, tangy, very sweet, and HOT. You can use the same sauce for chicken, or fried fish if you dust or batter and fry. A little goes a long way.

Serve it pretty with baby bokchoy or stir fried Swiss chard.
[signature]
F4tH - Caught one yesterday, off of a nightcrawler just off to the east of the south marina main body.
Favorite way to cook Wiper, Walleye, Catfish, Perch is to fillet well, rinse with cold water dip in milk, coat with corn meal that has been spiced up a bit with various stuff, or Louisiana fish breading mix.
Send 'em for their final swim in some hot peanut oil. Takes about 3 to 5 minutes depending on how thick. Eat with macaroni salad, or coleslaw and hush puppies and sweet tea.
Kinda like I did last night.

Nice catch .

[inline (0194).jpg]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Well, just got back; I had to try it and a friend was dying to go fish, but wouldn't go to Mantua for bluegills.

Streak intact. Willard just seems to know I'm coming. Had my umpteenth trip in a row where I stand somewhere at Willard doing exactly what everybody else is doing with people on both sides and across from me catching fish. Not a nibble on mussels, tubes, curlytails. Rapalas. Roadrunner, swimbaits, castmaster, worms or marabou jigs.

But my buddy did catch one and saw a dozen caught. Easily 80 people though, but most had something.
[signature]