Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scadden Navigator
FINALLY got out in my new-to-me navigator and had a good old time, despite not catching any fish.

I got my finder rigged up and it seemed to work well, nothing fancy but I sure liked having it!

Decided I don't like the oars much, very awkward and with the smaller width than the renegade, they overlap.
[inline downsized_0513141532.jpg][inline downsized_0513141533.jpg]

It's been a while since I've been on a toon so I don't know how well it moves through the water, but it seemed responsive enough and after 4 hours of kicking around last night my legs and ankles are sure feeling it!

Next upgrade will be some better fins, likely the flipfin ones...
[signature]
Great! Hey, are are your oars identical? Iask because i basically sold them to K ,but i have a mixed set.
[signature]
they are identical as far as I know
[signature]
Looks good. I had to modify my carbon oars to minimize overlap. Consider removing handle, using hacksaw to shorten oar, and then reattach handle.

I only used oars when wind came up and I needed to get back to shore. 90% of the time it was fining -- builds thighs and ankles.
[signature]
Those are interesting craft, for sure. One third tube, one third 'toon, and one third 'yak. If it didn't inherit the worst genes of all three, it ought to be a good little baby.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]Those are interesting craft, for sure. One third tube, one third 'toon, and one third 'yak. If it didn't inherit the worst genes of all three, it ought to be a good little baby.[/quote]

What is the worst genes?
[signature]
What are the worst genes?

The worst gene of an inflatable is that they can leak, leaving no buoyancy at all.

The worst gene of a 'toon is that it rows poorly and is terrible in a wind.

The worst gene of most kayaks is takes both hands to paddle.

It's difficult or impossible to stand up in any of them (except for some kayaks).

Need any more?

There are also good genes - including some REALLY good genes - for all of them. That's why they're all so popular.
[signature]
Your list a little different in mine which is what lead us to our personal choices.
All boats can leak effecting buoyancy. Knock on wood, in the 40 years I have been using inflatables for fishing, never a leak.
All are wind resistance, it is the body in a lot of cases.
Depends on which inflatable and who is rowing as far as rowing goes.
The hands free is a definite issue, but even with some kayaks, just the ability to sit sideways with feet in the water can cure that.
Stand up? That is more the person than the boat. I have seen people stand on SFC's.
My heaviest pontoon is in the 60 lb range and it is brutal. Thank God for the other four that are under 38 lbs.
Just the flip side to that coin.
[signature]
Yuppers to those observations. That's why we both agree it's a very personal choice to pick what's best for us. Every type of craft has plusses and minusses. The minusses of my Prangler are its cost and weight, obviously. Neither are any big deal for me, so I discount both. Those same factors might be deal killers for somebody else.
[signature]