Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder not reading
Need some more input folks. I recently changed boats and swapped my Lowrance fish finder from the old boat to the new one. Since installing fish finder in new boat I loose the depth reading on finder when travelling at a rate of speed faster than say 10 mph. When it was in my old boat I never did lose bottom depth when traveling.
Any thoughts?
[signature]
I would say it is placement of the transducer. You must have a spot that is losing connection with the water or it is not shooting down at that speed. Bubbles could also be an issue. If the hull is causing bubbles that would possibly make the transducer do that. Can you post a picture? Ron
[signature]
Ron is correct. It's cavitation from the boat. Most boats cause this and very few can be fixed by changing the placement. You can go to a stronger aftermarket transducer to fix the problem. Google Airmar P66 for the most commonly used transducer to fix the problem. It will have to be compatible with your unit as they make them with a myriad of connectors.
[signature]
A few years back on my way to Hells Cyn, I came around a corner and a big rock was in the middle of the road. I straddled it with my truck but the bass boat didn't make it. The rock punched a hole in the bottom and broke my motor toter. After it was re-fiberglassed, I replaced my transducer in the bottom of the boat and could not get a depth reading. I solved it by pouring a couple of cups of water in the back around the transducer and it works fine. I had used this trick on my old Glastron. I don't know why it works but it does.
[signature]
Well thanks again for all for the replies. I love all the knowledge and willingness to assisst fellow fisherman on this board. It indeed must have been cavitation, I lowered the transducer so it actually hangs down about 3/4" below the bottom of the boat and ran it today and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks again
[signature]