Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethanol and Boat Motors
I need some help from the boat experts out there. I have a 9.9 2 stroke outboard that is on my first boat. I have read that ethanol is bad for outboards. I see that there are a few places that I can get ethanol free gas. They are a little bit out of my way. Am I okay using your everyday ethanol blend with the maritime stabil added or should I just use ethanol free gas. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
[signature]
I'm in the same situation. I drive a few miles extra to get the ethanol free gas. Then I add Sea Foam to it. My boat engine is running better than ever.
[signature]
When I got my first motor it is a Coleman 2.6 hp four stroke. I used premium with Marine Stabil. I used it a lot, and at the end of 2012 I went for a fishing trip. I ran it 7 miles up river and fished all day. I was out of gas when I got there. I carry a small fule cell made for gas that is about the size of a large pop bottle. I poured it in and fired it up. After about a mile it died. I messed with it and got it to start and it ran for about 2 miles and died. Well I was spooked because I have never rowed a pontoon 4 miles into the wind. I worked on it and got it to go and that time it ran the rest of the way. I got home and dumped the gas out. Then I pulled the plug and it had a brown varnish on it. I looked into the hole and the piston was covered with the same brown crud. I put it away and didn't use it until the spring of 2013. That was when I found REAL gas. Here is a web page to help you find it. http://pure-gas.org/
I also got a new motor that spring and it was a Johnson 4 hp two stroke. I have never used ethanol in any small engine again. I called Coleman and they said that their motors were made to use it but they didn't recommend it.
I have all the ethanol free sites in my GPS and I will drive 20 or more miles if I had to not to use it in my 1988 toyota pickup or my small engines.

If I were you I would go out of my way to keep that poison out of my motor. You will be sorry if you don't. Ron
[signature]
I ran with ethanol for a few years and had nothing but trouble. Had to get the carb cleaned out constantly. Not sure if the ethanol contributed to that but the marine shop suggested going ethanol-free and ever since I did that I've had not problems. I think its worth going the extra miles.
[signature]
The cliff notes on ethanol. It absorbs water and will deteriorate plastics. A boat with an open vented gas tank will absorb a ton of water, if you have a metal can and not a tank it wont be as bad. If you take a few weeks to burn through your gas it will absorb water, you will get bad burning fuel, fouling, carbon build up etc. Also no way around it, long term ethanol will eat through your fuel lines and gaskets. There is a reason auto manufactures wont warranty engine problems if people used e-15. Basically an outboard is a very expensive, finicky motor, a couple minutes of extra driving is worth it. Google non ethanol gas stations.
[signature]
Done deal. I will pick up some ethanol free gas before the next outing. Much thanks for the input!
[signature]
Good choice. I do lawn care for a living and was replacing my two-stroke equipment every other year because of ethanol. Carbs, primer bulbs, hoses would all crap out on me.

Read an article about a guy down south with a marine shop who has been testing ethanol blends for a couple of decades. Learned that ethanol falls out of suspension in the fuel, and as a result, he's tested "10%" ethanol that's been higher than 20% at times. Yikes!

I made the switch a few years ago to non-ethanol. As a result, all my two-stroke equipment (boat included) is now lower-maintenance and lasting longer.

Plus, as a side note, you get 10% better gas mileage with it, so generally it is (around here, at least) actually a BETTER value to pay for it, too.
[signature]
+100 on Seafoam. Love that stuff, hate that Ethanol.

I use cheap gas on my new-(ish) car engine, but the old motor gets the highest grade, only. That's what lead was good for!
Always pitched some seafoam in promptly. There are other gas-treatments - specific for ethanol treatment (enzyme stuff they claim).

Water is bad, old gas is bad. I think I have pour fuel line issues too, and Gertrude (my 50s 10 horse) is not always in a good mood. Like to give her a good pat and stroke before a pull, just for luck. Yeah - I talk to my motor on a blustery day.

The other key - if you can, is run them dry when you're done. Disconnect the gas and let it run out ALL the gas till she sputters and pukes. Makes the next start up clean and happy.

Thanks for the link Ron - wish there were more options for GOOD gas!
In my 1993 Evinrude 115 I use chevron regular gas (yes it has ethanol) , Walmart marine 2 stoke oil and marine stabil. Motor starts easy and runs like a top. Have been doing this for about 5 years now. If I had a source for ethanol free
close by I would use it but I don't.
[signature]
Where do you live? I bet you have one close.
Ron
[signature]

Here you go...

[url "http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ID"]http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ID[/url]
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Where do you live? I bet you have one close.
Ron[/quote]

Caldwell
[signature]
Thanks for posting the link Ron.
[signature]
I think there is 3 in the caldwell area that are ethanol free. I know there is at least 2. Ron
[signature]
When you consider the cost of a new outboard (expecially the high hp ones) the price of non-ethanol fuel is a non issue for me.

To each their own, just my .02$
[signature]
I could not agree more. I use the non ethanol in my 88 toyota pickup and all my small motors. I would still use the non ethanol at 1.00 more a gallon. I am lucky that I have it about 1 mile away. I would drive 20 or more to get it. Ron
[signature]
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-re...anol-myths
[signature]
Don't care what they "claim", try to do a warranty claim that involves breakdown due to fuel. Some motor parts are cast with alloys that turn pink from ethanol burning.

Boats, bikes, sleds, RC toys

It's worth buying good fuel. Everything else is snake oil. If you have farm fuel delivered to you own tank, it is ethanol free. Irony don't burn corn to make corn. Lmao
[signature]
I'll stick with the straight stuff. Just wish I could find leaded these days.

Ethanol is hygroscopic (it has an attraction for water) and will more readily mix with water than with gasoline. It has different solvency behaviors than does gasoline, which allows it to loosen rust and debris that might lay undisturbed in fuel systems. And it can more readily remove plasticizers and resins from certain plastic materials that might not be affected by gasoline alone. Loose debris will plug filters and can interfere with engine operation. Additionally, ethanol is corrosive to some metals, especially in combination with water. Although gasoline does not conduct electricity well, ethanol has an appreciable capability to conduct electricity and therefore can promote galvanic corrosion.

Ethanol has a heating value of 76,000 BTU per gallon, which is approximately 30 percent less than gasoline's heating value (which is approximately 109,000 to 119,000 BTU/gal). The result is E-10 gasoline which should yield slightly lower mileage - a decrease of approximately 3 percent. Fuels containing higher levels of ethanol will have a corresponding reduction in mileage. For example, E85 fuels produce mileage approximately 30 percent less than gasoline.

The fuel-system components of Mercury engines will withstand up to 10 percent ethanol in gasoline.

Get the real story from Merc here:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and...ercEthanol
Things have changed, but a lot of this stuff is USER error.
I remember when they removed the lead from the gas and at that time I was riding a Harley. We found ourselves using Marvel Mystery Oil (same stuff I used on my sewing machine)
We also found to leave tanks full and if not in use for several months, drain. Adding Sea Foam and Stabil are a must. SMELL gas for varnish.
So, now I have been using Fly J or Smiths gas in my Lawn mower for 10 years with 2 plug changes. Still starts on second pull. Snow blower 5 years, same thing. 9.9 Honda boat motor with metal gas can, three years, still fires and runs smooth as heck. Two generators, 4 years, all good.
Guess, experiences may very.
[signature]