Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First trip to Lake Cascade
Greetings from SE Utah,
I've been a BFT member for years and I usually hang out on the Utah site. My wife and I are planning a trip to Lake Cascade soon and I wanted to see if anyone could offer some advice on a few questions I have.
I am interested in targeting the warm water species for the most part and I probably will do some fishing for the rainbows.
Any suggestions on how to focus on the perch this time of year? Our trip will be in the next two weeks. We will be camping at Ridgeview and I have a Lund 1850 boat with a new Merc 150 Pro XS. I am a very experienced fisherman and I just need some basic suggestions as to depths to try and a few general areas. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole or "secret spot".
I will be fishing Lake Cascade during the coming ice fishing season, probably in January. My trip this summer is just to get familiar with the area and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Thanks in advance for any and all information.

Mike
[signature]
It can change daily. Best bet is to stop in at Tackle Toms in Cascade and get the latest advice. They are very generous with up-to-the-minute tips. Mike
[signature]
I haven't been in a while so I have no helpful advice I just wanted to say good luck and please clean your boat and gear before coming!
[signature]
You can rest assured that I take the invasive species precautions very seriously. I am a retired Utah DWR law enforcement supervisor and I took part in the initial program development to create Utah's mussel prevention program.
Unfortunately the quagga mussels have shown up in a few Utah waters. I haven't used my boat in those waters, but I have cleaned and dried my boat per regulations since my last fishing at Starvation Reservoir on June 1.

I plan to stop at Tackle Tom's to buy my license and ask a few questions on the fishing situation. Thanks for your replies.

Mike
[signature]
H2O, welcome to the meat board. Any parts of the lake with rocky shores is going to be your spots to jig for Bass, the occassional crappie and etc. Early mroning ansd lates evenings you may even can get into some top water action in those sames type of spots.

The perch can be just about anywhere and you just have to find them. These spots sometimes can be discovered while trolling for trout, provided you ahve fish funder and can identify large schools and terrain on your unit.

Trolling for trout....ford fenders, jack-a-loids, etc followed with a wedding ring and crawler is the safest bet. You can also find the opccassional Koke if you go down with down riggers (depths vary) using dodger followed by a hoochie or a wedding ring.

This lake at its deepest point does not get much more than 60 feet deep and gets shallow quicker then one might think as you get close to certain edges of the lake.
[signature]
Thanks for the information. I got a couple of PMs with some other tips. I am also going to stop at Tackle Toms for a license and further current information.
It sounds like there should be plenty of fishing for a variety of species. I'm looking forward to seeing the area. The photos I've seen sure look good.

Mike
[signature]
Could anyone help me with just a general spot to start looking for bass? I have fished the Crown Pointe area a lot. There is a steep drop with rocks everywhere just north of the campground there. Anyone ever fished that? I am going to take the kayak up and do some paddling around. I will let you know what I find in the next bit.
[signature]
Crown Point has always been a favorite bass place of mine, particularly in early morning when you can cast top water lures into the shaded water before the sun comes up high.
[signature]
i did really well off the bank at blue heroin on sunday afternoon tossing senkos by weed patches caught some nice bass but the old guy on the dock was catching tons of 8 to 10 inch perch and even a few crappie Crown point has always treated me well for bass trout and bullhead cats
[signature]
My wife and I spent five days at Lake Cascade June 16-20. The first two and a half days were spent watching Mother Nature whip the lake into a nice white froth. When the wind came down, the fishing was pretty good. I wanted to catch some perch and I was successful. I ended up doing best with a typical walleye bottom bouncer and a crawler. I fished in the Sugerloaf Point area between there and the island. I got most of the fish in 17 to 22 feet of water. Water temp was 62-63 once the wind died down. My best perch was 14.75" and I released that one so I can catch it again in January when we make another trip to ice fish.
I fished for smallmouth on Wednesday afternoon last week and did quite well. I caught 18 fish in the 9 to 14 inch range. The largest, the 14 incher was probably a little over a 1.5 pounds. My larger perch were better fish. I did best on the SMB with a 1/2 ounce lipless crankbait in the fire tiger pattern. I fished the rocks around the golf course at the lake's south end. I also fished the rocks off of Crown Point.
We stayed in the Ridgeview campground, spot #180. Campground hosts George and Deltazeta were very friendly and helpful. My boat became stuck on shore overnight the first night and I couldn't have got it loose without George's help. Thanks again to those fine folks.
When we got to town we stopped at Tackle Toms for our licenses and they were very helpful with current conditions and some suggestions. I look forward to seeing those guys again in the new year.
Thanks to those Idaho forum members who PM'd me with some tips.
Matt.......those Jumbos are still swimming free. I kept a total of 16 perch between 11 and 13.5 inches. I have a number of great meals to tide me over until the return trip in the ice season. Thanks guys!

Mike
[signature]
Glad you were successful... Very good report, get ahold of me when you come up during the ice season....
Matt
[signature]
Matt,
I will definitely contact you before we come up there for the ice fishing trip. We will probably make the trip in the second half of January.

Mike
[signature]