Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time on Willard with Packfan
Today I got the pleasure of fishing with Packfan on Willard Bay. We were on the water around 7:30 AM. I was surprised to see how big it actually was! I have driven by it numerous times but have never stopped. And its hard to take a good look at it doing 75 down the highway.

We were on the hunt for some walleye but today they were MIA. I was OK with that because I was able to finally catch my first wiper. I cant take all the credit, packfan was very patient with a noobie like me when it comes to downriggers and planer boards. In fact, I give him all the credit. He taught me a lot, and at the same time, I realized I still have a lot to learn!!

The day was beautiful and we caught 9 wipers total. And a few came home to join me and the family at the dinner table.

Thanks for taking the time to take me fishing and teach me some new techniques! I only hope I can return the favor!!

A great day of fishing with great company!! Thanks again!!
[signature]
Yuppers. Viewed from a boat, Willard is a LOT bigger than when seen from the highway. It's even bigger when a wind comes up and that shallow bowl turns into a heaving, Angry monster. Trust me.

You did good on your first wipers.
[signature]
I'm glad we got to spend a few hrs. together this morning, sorry I couldn't get you into the walleye but glad you enjoyed catching the wipers. It's not hard taking someone like you out as you picked everything up pretty fast from setting up the down riggers to putting out planner boards. We will make sure to include your son on our next trip. I'm still chuckling over you trying to hack up one of the pesky Willard Bay bugs you swallowed, and this was a pretty good day with very few of the little critters. Thanks again for joining me today and for your service to our Great Country.
[signature]
Nice job, hey the wiper are more fun to catch and I think they taste as good as the walleye so you did great. Thanks for the post. J
[signature]
I think I may have eaten enough of those bugs to make a meal! Those little devices get stuck right where you can't hack them out. It was a great day out there. I'm good with not getting into the walleye. I caught fish I have never caught before. Thank you once again!
[signature]
It's always nice to get out with someone who knows the lake and learn from them. Nice to see you got into the wipers. I still gotta go get one of them.
[signature]
Nice wipers ! always wanted to fish willard bay, but with no boat i didn't know how the fishing would be, any insight?
[signature]
That is awesome !!!!

my wife and I were also out at willard same day. based on the DR and Plander boards I think we did see you guys.

I was in a brown smoker craft, it was my wife and I plus my old man. We had the same luck (3 weeks ago we had the eyes like crazy) but this week they were gone gone gone. My wife did pick one nice 23" just over 3 pound walleye while trolling 3.1 MPH with a shad rap.

It was my fathers first wiper and he was very pleasanty suprised with the hit and fight for their size Smile
[signature]
We were in a 20 ft. black and tan Crestliner with BFT stickers on the right and left side of my windshield. I didn't notice any fish being netted where we fished but I stay away from the crowds when I can. I did pull in about 100 feet of line with 2 nice crank baits, one was a Rapala shad rap and the other a rattle trap they hadn't been in the water very long. I hooked the mess on one of my down riggers running a flicker shad. I noticed a few shad being spit out about 1 1/2 inches long on the floor of my boat and in the bottom of my live well. So I would think they will be gorging themselves on the shad for awhile.
[signature]