Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unthinkable Chukar question.
I have been doing a ton of research on Chukar this year. I have some locations in mind to hunt but would really just like to get into them this year. I live in Saratoga Springs and am thinking Lake Mountain might have a great population. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I most likely will be by myself but might have my Dad and his two German Shorthairs. They are great Pheasant and Grouse hunters and have flushed up a Chukar while hunting on a farm one time. So as long as I can get to an area they are actually at, I think we can find them. Thanks in advance for your help.
[signature]
I think the right direction for Chukars is either "don't do it" or "up"!

I can't offer any words of encouragement unfortunately as I'm only a novice chukar-er but from my experience, my advice is stick to grouse [Smile]
[signature]
I don't have any locations, just be careful of rattlesnakes.
[signature]
If I encounter a rattlesnake when I am searching for these elusive bird it might be a treat. I have never encountered one in the wild before. None the less a good pair of boots and pants will be on me at all times.
[signature]
I wasn't concerned about you, the dogs they are not good for.
[signature]
Stansbury Island North of Tooele can have some. I tried twice last year, beat myself up bad on the brutal hiking, and only dusted a couple of birds, but they were there. This year will be my 2nd try. Hopefully I can do better. My friend has a dog that is partially trained that took me last year.
[signature]
I've hunted chukars my entire life from Nevada, Oregon, and Idaho. the main thing to understand is that they are boom or bust depending many factors. you have to have a good dog, pointer, shorthair, etc. I personally have an English setter that's awesome. I've lived in Utah since 2009 and have tried here with limited success. there's a WMU west of Utah lake that holds some birds, believe they stock the area. lots of bird farms in the salt lake valley that stock them and make for a good training session for you dog, but does nothing for your legs. Hunting chukars is my weight management program for the winter. It's the only thing that keeps the weight off gained through the holidays. You should get online or go to DNR to get the book that shows guzzler locations throughout the state. It's been pretty wet this year so the birds will be scattered, but still have they're favorite watering areas. Put your legs on and check out some of these locations until you find the birds. You can pattern chukars. Also, look for reports in other states. Southwest Oregon is awesome when it's on, 2004-06 was an extreme period, you could get your limit in the morning in Oregon then drive 45mins into Idaho and do the some in the evening. cost of license is not too bad if it's on. NDOW also posts they're chukar forecast and has books with guzzler locations.
good luck, make sure and shoot a lot of trap/skeet before you go and follow-through
[signature]
My best word of advice is get up high. I have only shot 1 chukar while hiking up. They will run so fast to the top of the hill, just to jump and soar down the other side. My most successful tactic is to get to the top and listen for birds. If you hear some, great, head down on them. If not, pick out areas of cheatgrass/rock cropping you think might hold birds and hunt down on them. Chukar will generally run uphill and fly downhill. I am not saying they will never fly up or run down (they will run down), but as a general observation that is my experience. Also, I run into them quite often at the top of ridges. They will jump a couple feet in the air, and soar as far down and around as you can watch them. I usually try to shoot while they are in range, then watch where they go. Many times they will hit the ground and call to each other, and start making their way back up. I hike back to the top, and hunt down the draw I saw them land in.
Hope this helps.
They are very humbling to hunt.
I was once told that the first time you hunt chukars is for fun, and every time after that is for revenge. I believe this to be true.

As for location. I have never seen more birds than on West Mountain, but that place gets ridiculous pressure. I will hunt it for the first week or so, but after that they flush way out of range more often than not. And that place is brutal. Not that chukar hunting is every easy, but man is that mountain steep. I have heard there are birds on Lake Mountain, I would be interested in testing this theory, or at least hearing what your experience is out there.
Good Luck... Just a few more weeks
[signature]
won't tell you any areas to try. but let the dogs do the hunting. don't act like you are pheasant hunting, just let the dogs go to work and do your best to keep up.
[signature]
Step 1: Find Water - Desert Springs are the best

Step 2: Work a radius around the water
[signature]
It took me till this past weekend to get one. I worked long and hard for it. Lots of missed shots. Miles of hiking. A few gallons of water. But I finally marked chukar off my bucket list. Can't wait to go back and do it again.
[signature]
Congratulations on getting your first chukar. Sounds like you earned it.
[signature]
Awesome man. They are my favorite. I think it is because when you bring one to hand, you feel you really earned it.
Good Job.
[signature]