Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport /Wanship Res. hard water Report 1/1/2004
[size 2]Went to Rockport Res.this morning . Somebody was there in a truck before me , but they must of been waiting for the sun to come up . I had my GPS so I was off to find the honey hole from yesterday . Fishing was not a fast as yesterday , but the wind was a little bit more annoying today . If you had a ice shelter , you best have it anchored today . Didn't find the bigger Bows like yesterday but caught lots of dinks and a couple 14" Bows . Caught about 20 perch , but only keep 7 . Had a jumbo perch up to the hole , but got away . Most perch were 6 to 10 " . I got this one hit and set the hook hard like I do and broke the tip off my stiff ice rod . This fish surged 5 times stripping line off my reel and finally broke off . Must of been a big bad Mr. Brown . Felt like I hooked a concrete block , but it took off like a rocket . Now I got to replace that rod . Wouldn't know what to do with out 6 ice rods rigged up and ready to go . LOL . Right when I was ready to get off the windblowing ice I got one more hit and I could tell I had a nice fish . To my surprise it was a 19" Brown . I now needed to get a pic of this fish , so I went to find P4L and IFG . I found them just as I thought . I seen this glow to the west , so I fought my way there and did a petty4life dip on the ice ( Man that Hurts ). I could still see the light so I moved closer and closer . It was Icefishing god , Petty4life and others . Shot the BS with them and got a pic of my first entry into the Ice Fishing Challenge . It could of been a nicer day but there was quite a few people there catching fish . I got film at the 1 hour lab for testing and developing , so I hope to have them in a hour . If you go to Rockport , you might want some cleats on your shoes . Tight lines and Happy New Year everyone

P.S. The brown was a female with about a dozen eggs left in her but also found a 7" perch in its gut . I think this brown was going to enter it in the Ice fishing challenge but had to disqualify it for not having a BFT sticker in there . LOL

Warning !! some small perch and 1 brown trout died in the making of this post , but will taste good tonight in the pan . LOL [/size]
[signature]
Here's the pics of the Brown trout from today and also one of a cutt I caught at Strawberry a few days ago . I glad IFG took several pics because 2 of them are hard to read the tape at all . I don't know what I will do to get a 54" muskie in a pic . LOL Or maybe a 73" muskie . Things I worry about . LOL
[signature]
[cool]I see my clock is wrong on this camera . It is one day behind . lol have to fix that .

Petty , I was referring to the Brown trout not having a bft sticker with her 7" perch . LOL I took a pic of the perch that I found in the brown trout but it didn't turn out . Just a blurr .
[signature]
i see in the one pic you have beer. and you didnt share[mad]
[signature]
And you thought it was the bad weather that keep me in the ice hut . LOL
[signature]
I tried to make all the pictures bad. I guess my finger wasn't far enough in front of the lens. I'll have to work on that. By my unofficial counting that makes 29 points for you - none for me. I wish you could have got the one that broke your rod, I'd have liked to see it.
[signature]
Yes , I caught that finger trick you pulled . LOL I got to keep a eye on you .
[signature]
the Brown trout's perch that I found . Cool LOL
[signature]
The pics turned out pretty decent. She sure was a nice brown. Just wish you could have pulled the other through the ice. It was nice meeting you today.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun day at the lake, too bad it was so windy
but at least you got one nice fish. Rockport has some nice fish in it but the wind can be rough.
IFG- where were you fishing? I have a good idea where HA69
was. An 11 inch perch is a nice perch, that might be hard to beat, aren't you going to enter it? WH2
[signature]
If you park at the third turn out, walk down to the left at the big rock point on the highway side. About 200' off the bank, 22' of water. Didn't seem to matter today, when it was hot, everybody caught fish, it slowed down at about 9:45. I'll get a bigger Perch when Hyrum frezzes (I hope).
[signature]
How far were you from HA69? I think I know which rock point you were fishing by but when we were there yesterday it looked like open water near that point. Did the wind get stronger as the day went on? I've never caught any big perch from Hyrum, have you? WH2
[signature]
Hells...that was me and my son who got there before you. We were waiting to see if the sign about the dangerous ice was right. Then we waited to make sure you didn't fall in before venturing out. My son and I were also the two guys huffing and puffing after pushing the gear up the trail who stopped and talked with you at your truck. That was a nice brown you caught. We caught 94 this morning. A good mix of trout and perch. My first time at Rockport also. We debated on going to strawberry where you can catch some big fish, but decided to try some new water. I looked out the window of the ice tent a few times and saw you huddled up keeping warm. We had the heater on and were in shirt sleeves. It had to of been over 70 degrees inside the tent. Had to open the windows and leave a crack in the door.
[signature]
Well Glad to meet you kj .Thanks for keeping a eye on me . I fish a lot by myself and it could get scary at times . I wanted to snap a pic of that sign or better yet take it with me so I could post it when I want the lake to myself . LOL I think the state people put that up and cover there backs on that . I seen people walk all the way across that end and most of the ice is 4 to 5" thick . Good to hear you caught a mess of fish . I wish I brought my ice hut but didn't want to pack it back to the truck .
[signature]
You ought to enter the brown into the Bud Light fishing contest. You got a great picture of the beer![Wink]
[signature]