Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing With Your Dog in the Boat
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Well, last winter I got a little (18 lbs.) mutt from one of the local shelters. I named him "Pepper".[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"] [#800000][size 4]
[inline On-Desk.jpg]

[inline On-couch.jpg]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Since then, he and I have become best of friends.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][inline In-Arms.jpg][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]
[inline Napping.jpg]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I haven't taken him fishing with me yet but plan to for the first time when the weather starts to warm up next spring. We'll probably do Willard first as a test run. I'd take him with to the Berry these days but he's not too fond of cold weather. I'd have to bring a heater along and would rather not go to all that work just yet.

I thought I would ask you folks here on the board what your experiences are with your dog on the boat with you. Have you had some bad experiences that now keep you from bringing your K-9 along? Or are they just as much good company on the boat as they are around home? [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]
I'd love to hear your warnings, suggestions, successes, experiences, and other thoughts on bringing your dog along in the boat fishing.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
It seems he's a little gray around the muzzle... is he older? I love you! Everybody wants puppies or younger dogs, and nobody will take home the "old coots" Wink

I don't have a dog myself, but I remember fishing with Bassrods. His Coco would jump out of the boat, swim around, then get back in the boat. She would be shivering so hard that her teeth would clatter... yet she kept doing that over and over again LOL a couple times when we were near the shore, she would jump out and go to shore to chase critters around.
I think maybe she entertained me just as much as the fishing did!

I guess the only advice I have is common sense... don't take doggie where there's "No Dogs Allowed" signs posted. Also, have baggies available to pick up 'waste' (unless he goes in the water, then I guess it doesn't matter LOL)
[signature]
Good point there Julia. I had not thought about the possibility of driving a long ways with Pepper just to find out that dogs are not allowed. That is something I'll have to research before leaving home.

As for his age, when we got Pepper, they told us he was about five years old. So he would now be about six. But that gray around his muzzle makes one think he is older. But he is fiery fast on his feet and supper active. I think he is younger rather than older. I'll probably never really know.
[signature]
They just want to be with you all the time, no matter where or doing what.
Our Katie loved the boat. She would just curl up in a corner and sleep, unless we stopped to swim, then she would swim with us. (Springer Spaniel that loved the water)

I know that Deer Creek does not allow dogs, not even in your boat. I would think that any culinary water would not allow dogs, but any irrigation water would not mind. That would mean Willard would be fine with it, remember the state park regulations too as nearby, every launch except Pineview, Mantua and Echo are state parks.
[signature]
As you have likely witnessed yourself, I fish with my dog about 80% of the time. She stays in the boat, loves to be on the water, I just wish I could buy her a license and teach her how to net fish! No special rules. I just don't let her run around when I get back to the ramp unless no one else is around. I absolutely do NOT like when dogs are on the shore or ice with fishermen who don't control their dogs. It is NOT cool to have you dog swimming around in front of people trying to fish, or getting into their tackle or eating their bait. You are one of the more considerate anglers I know, so I know that it won't be an issue with you. However, there is at least one other dog lover on BFT that I don't agree with on where/when they take their dog. Anyway, common sense prevails as usual when it comes to taking your dog with you. If you dog gets cold get it a neoprene dog vest. My dog wears one when we go duck hunting and it definitely keeps her warmer than without one.
[signature]
I fish with my dogs very frequently. The key is not to assume everyone loves dogs because they don't. I as much as I love dogs nothing is worse than a poorly trained dog or a clueless owner. So if the dog is obedient and you're respectful of others the only problem you'll likely have is when you encounter the dog and dog owner who isn't.
One of my dogs is half lab and half bull terrier. She has the very short coat of a bull terrier. She's fine with 0 degrees and even 20 degrees and swimming as long as she's active. But this dog shivers at 55 degrees camping overnight. She use to wake me up and I'd crank on the heat in the trailer just for her. That got old quick so I ended up buying her a fleece jacket. She can stand down to about freezing now overnight. I'd suggest getting one for cold outings when he'll be inactive such as on a boat. The other thing that helps is feeding the dog well before or while being out in the cold. Some meat, oily fish or even olive oil added to their dog food will give my dog at least 5 degrees extra cold tolerance. Sometimes I think she swims at ice out knowing I'll give her extra smoked salmon afterwards.
[inline IMG_0029.JPG]
[signature]
I had a cocker spaniel for 16yrs. I took him out in the boat all of the time. He loved sitting on top of the dog house(IO engine cover). Most of the time it was sleeping in the corner somewhere and when he was up & about, your chair became his at times. During cool or cold weather, he had his own jacket to wear which didn't interfere with his taking care of business. I truly miss him everyday that goes by.
[signature]
So I don't have a boat but what about on a pontoon? My Aussie Shepherd is 3.5 months and I want to take him out on my pontoon in the spring. Has anybody ever had any experience with that? My pontoon has a plate in the back that holds a battery and a trolling motor.

These are a couple pics of my Marley.
[signature]
Pm fly goddess. She takes her little dong but in my opinion I would never take a shepherd on a pontoon especially if it's like

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sport.../cat101149

but if it's one of these type of boat / pontoon your dog should be find. When I my dad got this kind of pontoon we would take my old pup in this kind of all the time.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/C...t104581980

They sure will be really tempted to go for a nice swim in the middle of the lake just saying.
[signature]
This is what mine looks like: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Creek-Com...441222.uts

I'm thinking he would be fine just resting in the back.
[signature]
I'm in the same boat as you, so to speak. My pup's been a great shoreline angler, but haven't had her in the boat. Want to put a platform on the bow of my flatbottom for her to sit on, but suspect she'll want to be at myfeet.

I worry about the hooks. she gets excited about my catches (who wouldn't! ) so that could be tough.

Maybe next spring we'll do it.

Meanwhile I'm debating if her short coat can handle ice conditions.
On the boat, its easy. Just go to shore a couple times for potty breaks and a little jog. Mine appreciate a swim too. Use a leash at the ramp. Take snacks for 'em.

On the rivers, the dog needs to be more obedient and trained. Leashed within the company of others. They're good company though, better than most humans IMO! Mine are 58 and 125 pounds now that they're "grown." Obedience training, reinforcement, and treats are a must!

[inline 2011-12-25_14-39-48_692.jpg]

[inline IMGP0809.JPG]

[inline IMG.jpg]

[inline 2011-08-13_08-10-57_875.jpg]
[signature]
I just noticed this thread so thought I would respond. I have a Aussie about 2yr old. I have been taking her with me for over a year and yes they are as much company on the boat as they are anywhere. I tried a little bed thing to give her a place to hang out but it didn't work, when it's hot she follows the shade, and when it's not she likes to be where she can see out.
The hook and lure issue has made my boat a safer place I used to have lures hanging and laying everywhere, now I'm super careful to keep them where thy belong.
My dog thinks she's a Lab. loves the water, so when we go to the shore for potty breaks, I throw the ball and let her play in the water to burn up some energy and cool off.
I'm sure you both will enjoy going fishing together, better than many people, they won't out fish ya, complain when the fishing's slow, or bitch when you miss a fish with the net.
[signature]
That 1st pic of the pup is unbelievabley cute!!! What a perfect capture!
[signature]