Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This season so far...
So, I have not had much time to post anything, but here is the condensed version of this fall's hunting (which has been much less than in previous years, unfortunately).

I did not see many elk at all during the archery hunt, and only 1 cow within range. Deer on the other hand were fairly plentiful. I saw some decent bucks, but could not convince myself to fling an arrow after I had a couple run ins with a good 180+" buck. Thought I had him as good as on the wall the second time, quartering away at 45 yards. Took one step out to get a clear shot on his vitals, and got pegged by a doe about 15 feet away. Anyways, I did not shoot an animal on the general archery hunt. Had a couple good shoots of doves, mixed with Eurasians and some pigeons in September. Joined my dad with my dog on the pheasant club the day before the chukar opener as a warm up. Chased chukars a bit in late September to October, with a few coming to hand. Early season duck hunting was not good for me, with low to no water in many of my regular spots. I ended up notching my tag on the extended with a much smaller buck than many I passed up to that point. It gave me a great shot, and most of all my 2 year old son was camped with me, and got to enjoy the experience (main reason I shot it). Hunted 5 days in Wyoming, and did not see the deer we did last year. They finally started to move more and started chasing does the day before we had to leave. Ended up with a 3x3, but much better tasting than tag soup. Got out duck hunting during the little freeze we had a couple weeks ago, and shot my first cinnamon teal drake (headed for the wall). Got out to hunt some quail and pheasant after I got back from Wyoming, and gave them hell for a bit. Still hammering the quail (just got back from a quick 4 hour hunt-the 3 of us limited). Heading out in the morning to chase devil birds.

All in all, not the greatest season ever, but I've had worse.
[signature]
I was wondering if you went back up to WY. this year or not. My buddies went up to WY. again this year and stayed with friends in town had rough luck as well. Just small bucks. I think the whitetail had a big die off the past couple years due to disease, we are going to give them a year or so I think before we go after the deer up there. I had a good trip up to Saskatchewan deer hunting and plan on a return trip in May for a bear hunt. The wife has a late season cow tag for the Wasatch so hopefully she can get a decent chance at a cow. Freezer is pretty slim this year with only one deer. Great pictures thanks for posting.
[signature]
That Drake cinny is a stud!
[signature]
Good luck on putting some meet in the freezer. What's your wife's boundries, and I will keep an eye out. I live in Orem, and am up the canyons often.
And, I guess my dad ran in to your friends in town. Mentioned that he knew you, and recognized his truck/license plate from what I told you last year. I was back at the motel taking a shower.
That was a good buck you got. Congrats.
[signature]
Thanks.
I still need to decide what pose to put him in. I was surprised to see him in mid November, but he's a good looking bird.
[signature]
The wife has the Current Creek Unit, my friends who hunt WY. live down there so they keep an eye out for us. The one has a job that keeps him out travelling that area alot. I appreciate your help though, thanks.
[signature]
Looks like a great season to me, especially getting to share it with family as well. I remember those days hunting with my dad and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Looks like the first 3 pt. deer was an older deer, and your little guy really likes it.

Thanks for sharing cause I didn't get to do any hunting this year, but got a lot of fishing done.
[signature]