Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey first ice
Just got back from a scouting trip to Causey. The whole lake is covered except for a few little spots (springs?) down the boy scout arm. I made the trek out to check ice, to see how thick it was. All around the bank the edges are soft and wet. I made it out about 3 feet onto the ice and cut a hole, 3". Walked about 5 more feet and cut a hole, barely hit 2" on my spoon. That was as far as I went, since the ice was already making some noise with me out that far. My guess is that another 5-10 feet and I would have been swimming.

A few more days and I think it will be fishable. JUST BE CAREFUL, cause we all know the lakes don't freeze evenly.

I also noticed on the way up that Pineview was about 85% capped, but had lots of open water in small pools.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, should be good by the 1st, I hope. Was there much snow on the ice?
[signature]
There was very little snow on the ice. Maybe an inch, so probably just whatever fell last night. However, it was snowing pretty good when we left, so who knows what it will look like tomorrow.
[signature]
Thanks for the updates on Causey and Pineview! Hopefully with this week's weather alot of the lakes will be capped and safe.
[signature]
Thank you for the report. Hoping to get some ice closer to home for the upcoming week.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
Thank you, sir. You saved me the effort of making the same trip. Had planned to run up there tomorrow morning.
[signature]
Can't wait to get up there ! I'm wanting to get my hands on some of the few big fish up there ! What do you guys think about the number of fish up in the lake ? I Kinda feel like the numbers are lower than a decade ago but the few fish I have caught lately were nice ones no Browns but nice tigers ...
[signature]
This must be your tracks then, crazy crazy
[signature]
Nice pic of the crazyness!
[signature]
I wonder if the ice is any safer now. it has been colder than a tit in a brass bra the past couple nights up around there. any one been up since to check the thickness?
[signature]
Nope, those are not my tracks. I only walked out with a hand auger and a spoon. I probably only went 10-12' away from the bank. That means someone else came up after me and went way out there. It looks like they made it back ok.
I would assume it's over 3" by now, but the question is, is it over 3" everywhere or just in certain locations??????
[signature]
Any one know if causey is good to fish yet?
[signature]
I fished it yesterday and the ice was 4.5-5" depending on location. Saw a few schools of fish right after we set up, then it was dead the rest of the day. No fish caught between the 4 of us. Probably only had 3-5 bites all morning. I saw 4 other groups of fishermen, and I didn't see anyone else catch a fish either.
[signature]
Tough sledding. Where did you fish it? By the dam or did you go across or somewhere else?
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
safe ice horrible fishing saw 3 fish on the finder all day long no bites on the boy scout arm
[signature]
I've only been on Causey ice a few times, but have never caught a single fish there. Beats me.
[signature]
We started out straight across from the dam, then moved over by the rocks leading down the Boy Scout arm, then back toward the spillway, and then right in front of the dam.

Causey is tricky place to fish. It seems like if you fin the fish you can catch a lot, but most times you just walk around cutting holes and trying to find them. I have had way more crappy days than good up there. I just like it because it's close to home.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. PM sent.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!