Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Year's Eve Adventure
Makes me think of a Jethro Tull song, skating on the thin ice of May.... but crazy is as crazy does. Haven't had anything worthy of reporting for a while, so thought it high time I changed that. The hurricane force winds drove me back on Tuesday, but had to give it a go today. Glad I did.

[inline ChillZone.jpg]

Colder than a witches "you know what" upon arrival. Almost lost my chance to the big 4-letter "W" (work not wind this day), but wasn't to let that stop me.
Kind invite and early report from cbassonafly gave me courage. Passed by bornfishing on the trek out, and stopped for a howdy-doody.

[inline 10882344_10204605160621408_2231594381183935603_n.jpg]

At least the OTHER big "W" didn't mess with us much, never did pop up the new tent, but nice to have a comfy chair. Ice was pretty good, but I just followed prelaid paths, gritted my teeth, and kept the spikes handy.

[inline "Fatty Gills.jpg"]

Started off with a Flatrinkie, and it produced. Pitched a red Marmooska, and it produced too. Shifted to a green Ratfinkie, and guess what - yup IT produced too. Didn't really try much else, didn't move beyond the two holes cbass had already drilled before I caught up with him.

[inline "Action Jackson.jpg"]

Action wasn't constant, but it was aggressive (hmmm, early ice!). Mix of bows, perch, bluegill, even a bass came to play. Mostly small bows until I'd iced a limit, THEN the bigger ones showed up - probably up to 14-15" - shoulda waited. Perch were fat and chunky, and some nice hocky-puck bluegills came to play.
Mix of waxies and half-mealies. Perch eyes weren't as popular it seemed.

[inline "Chunky Perch.jpg"]
[inline "Frosty Perch Mama.jpg"]
Threw back as many as I iced. Kinda came in waves, but action was fairly steady from 8 till we packed out about 1:30. It was a good way to start the ice season, and the new year. I'll probably be back tomorrow.

[inline Heap.jpg]
[inline "Yotes Panfish.jpg"]
Nice Yote glad you got out on a good day. Hope today is the same. See ya there. J
[signature]
Thanks for the fun report! Amazing what fools we become on first ice, I've one of them many times!

Happy New Year and great catching!
[signature]
Coyote spinner,
Nice job on the perch and great pics. Looked like a fun day. Weird how the bigger trout show after you have a limit. I think they like to taunt us.
[signature]
Mmm panfish. The river just iced up over the last couple days, so I guess it's time to bust out the auger.
[signature]
Good report! Glad you braved it out! And 2014 is in the books on a good note[Wink]
[signature]
Nice report. Glad you were out there freezing your butt off, and not me. That's a nice haul, but some of those fishies look like minnows!

Nice job. Catch a few more today.

I may wander out there later this afternoon, trying to get over this cold.
[signature]
That's a good mess of fish you got there! Way to finish out the year on a high note yote!!
[signature]
Sure was fun! Those perch are porkers, I need some more!! Today was sure busy. Thanks again Yote.
[signature]
Thanx are to you, you drilled the holes I just sat there and yanked!
Enjoyed the company, glad the fish were willing. It was a good way to close out 2014

Sorry I didn't make it today. But I'll be back out before long. Mesh of fishcicles to tend to. Trying bottled fish, new one for me. Never did pop open the salsa, darned fish kept me too busy.

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks. It was of course Mantua, hearing of a few other lakes capping with these cold temps. Seems like a few more folks made it out there today.
Perch were pushing 10, best Gills were 8, so if you caught a 10 inch Gill you might have been near the almost catch and release record!

Large or small of it, ended up with a good mess of fillets. look forward to trying the bottled trout. Didn't pressure can it, so it'll have to go fairly fresh. I'll let ya'll know if I like the "recipe" I departed from.

[inline "Fillets of Fisheses.jpg"]
Lookin good there! Nice catch...[Wink]
[signature]