Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Out of Utah
Ok guys.
I know I have asked this once before, but what hunts would any of you suggest outside Utah. I try to do at least one per year. I've been lucky enough to make this happen the past 5 years, since I started this goal.( Two year chasing upland birds-mostly pheasant- in North Dakota, 3 years in Wyoming, 1st year antelope, followed by 2 more for deer).
I was not as impressed this past year for deer, and will probably head elsewhere for this upcoming season.
So, lets hear it....
I would prefer to drive, though flying is not out of the question.
Really would prefer to be DIY (never done a guided hunt, and would like to keep it that way, but not saying I would 100% not do it)
Big game would be first choice (I think), though Canada waterfowl is on my bucket list.

Thanks in advance for any input.

P.S. I have no points in any state other than Utah, so hard to draw hunts are not much of an option. Though I would like to hear about them too for possible future opportunity (but please disclose if this is the case).
[signature]
Canada dude. $700 for a week of the best waterfowl hunting in the world, hard to beat it in my mind!

If you're looking for something more exotic, a buddy of mine went down to mexico last year and had a blast hunting Brant on the baja penninsula. Relatively cheap for this kind of hunt, check it out

http://www.getducks.com/hunts/mexico-pac...t-hunting/
[signature]
Idaho - OTC Archery Elk During the Rut + Deer/Bear/Wolf/Cougar possibilities are at the same time.

Edit: Idaho does not have a points system - So, in the draws for Sheep and Moose your odds are better than Utah. This being said only 10% of the permits can go to NR and you have to fork out all the money up front for the draw.

As for Elk - You can pick a unit and buy a tag right now, Idaho is a lot tougher terrain than Utah, you will have to be in close to mountain goat hunting shape for the hunt.
[signature]
I would like to think I'm in pretty good shape. I hunt chukars about every to every other weekend throughout the season (and enjoy it). My question to you is how is the hunting with the wolf situation. Everything I read says it makes it a whole new ball game. Though, I do see most units are at or above objective for elk.
Funny you recommend Idaho, as I have actually been looking into it quite a bit, but for deer.
[signature]
Some areas are hit more than others as far as the wolfs go, but it's currently not the end of the world as a lot of people would have you believe.

Idaho must have been magical before the wolves, but I would still rate it as a great destination.

Some areas the bears are doing more harm than the wolves, the bears will follow the elk around in the spring and eat the calves.

Elk do bugle less in areas with high wolfs, but there still are a lot of elk.

You'll almost never see the wolves, but you can sometimes hear them at night.

Unit 19A (McCall) would be a good area if you are scared of wolves. This area is on the south fork of the Salmon river and is steep and nasty (also, has a robust population of chuckars) Keep in mind there are areas here that would be a 3 day pack out on horses. Also, a chainsaw is a must.

Unit 6 (Panhandle) would be a good area if you are not scared of wolves. This area is thick timber and is much more conducive to bow hunting.

There are a lot of good areas to hunt in Idaho almost all of the wilderness areas and non wilderness areas would be a good bet. Wilderness areas are harder to access and have funny rules like no chainsaws. "All Wilderness areas have a number of regulations in place which are designed to protect the resource. Mechanized and motorized equipment is not allowed in Wilderness, this includes bicycles, carts and boat motors. " The advantage of wilderness areas is the lack of road hunting availability. Also, some wilderness areas are rifle during the elk rut.

The only area I wouldn't recommend for Elk would be Lolo, all the other wilderness areas would be great hunts.

Wilderness areas also have reduced predator tags. I recommend at least a Bear Tag. Odds are you will see bear. You can throw out baits, but in the fall all you have to find is a berry patch. Then the stalk is on.

As far as deer. The Panhandle late season whitetail would be my recommendation. This is rattling season and would be a very fun hunt. Weather can be a factor as far as getting there, I would recommend going up through Lewiston (Sea Levelish). Mule Deer in Idaho can be really challenging with the terrain. I haven't seen any big bucks outside of the draw areas (doesn't mean they are not there), but there are plenty of forked horns around.

In review,

I would look at areas that you can bow hunt during the rut. Google the unit or look for topo maps. Talk to the Idaho Fish and Game avoid the crazy locals that will tell you how wolves have ruined the hunting, because the truth is there is still good hunting to be had and the more people that complain about the wolves, the less hunters that will try the area. If you find an area that you like, get out and run it down. I recommend a spring bear hunt over bait. After that it is just pretty much regular hunting.
[signature]
One thing you mite try is a wild pig hunt in Texas..I got back a couple of weeks age from a great hunt we got lots of pigs ..
It cost us $450 for four days room and cleaning and cutting of hogs we had to get our own food..
All the hogs we could kill..
[signature]
Hear is a picture I hope..

[signature]
That is a nice hog. How do they taste?
[signature]
Real good, not as much fat and great taste..Had all the hams smoked no bacon just to lean..

This was trip # two in two years and I'm planing a third..
[signature]