Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 1/3 - just because...
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Decided to join the masses. This was the first time ever fishing here. First outing of this hard water season – time to check out the ice gear real-time. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Arrived (in the dark) just before 7. Once we got our bearings (location) we waited for another fishing buddy who has fished here several times before. Once he arrived we headed toward the SE corner and parked along the south road about halfway there. We suited up, unloaded all our gear/sleds and headed down a pathway to the ice. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]There was already a small village who had arrived before us or maybe they spent the night but we eventually chose a location and checked the water depth – 8.4ft. This was about the depth we had heard was working pretty well so we started getting set up. Lines were dropped at 815. Fish on by 830. We fished with several different baits until it was apparent the pink Ratfinkee tipped with wax worm seem to be the preferred dish of the day. Fished until 1. Went home with 7 Rainbows and 4 Perch. A pretty good outing and successful gear check out (although we learned we need better (warmer) footwear for the wife). [/font]
[signature]
Nice catch. Looks like you had a great day.
[signature]
It was a great first day out. Trout fillets will be canned up this week and the perch will make enough fish tacos for the two of us.

Still need more practice with the Marcum Showdown though. But I can already tell it will be good tool to have.
[signature]
Nice, glad you guys found some willing fish. I never thought to try a pink jig, sounds like it was a good choice. Decent perch too. Another thing that helps to keep the feet warm is to use a car floor mat to keep the feet off the ice, especially when your doing a lot of sitting.
[signature]
Well done. The first trip out for the season always feels good. Thanks for the report. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip Curt - She's a trooper so even with better footwear I am sure a mat also be helpful.
[signature]