Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you take an inflatable w/ electric motor on CJ?
I’ve driven past CJ dozens, if not hundreds of times.  I’ve fished it 2 or maybe 3 times from the shore.  But I’ve never been on the water in any kind of vessel.

I’m likely going to pull the trigger on an inflatable raft this year.  Something small enough to take camping, but big enough (and sturdy enough) to accommodate my family.  Based on my research, balanced against my needs, the Intex Mariner 4 has risen to the top of the short list.  Very good reviews, and there are lots of ideas out there to mod it and make is more of a fishing vessel, if I so desire.

Longer-term, I would like to pick up a Minn Kota 40lb-thrust electric motor for the raft, to allow me to get offshore with a bit more ease vs. the oars.  The vast majority of the time, I’ll be on smaller bodies of water.  Think Sage Hen, Bull Trout, Horse Thief, the lakes Bruneau Dunes, perhaps Warm Lake.  But I have my eye on larger bodies, too – such as CJ, Cascade, Deadwood.  Of course, I have no intention of cruising around the entire lake on the larger bodies of water using an electric motor attached to an inflatable.  Just something to get me out a bit from shore, and maybe go up and/or down the shore a mile or so.

I’m familiar enough with CJ to know that the wind can flat out howl down there.  Certainly, I’d never take an inflatable raft with an electric motor out on CJ on a day when the wind was definitely going to blow.  But on those days when the wind was calm, or at least more on the breezy side (since I don’t think the wind is EVER calm at CJ...), I’m curious to know if I’m others here believe I'm certifiably insane even considering the above.  Very specifically, I’m thinking about trying to get into the “narrows” from the Cottonwood area.

Input is welcome.
[signature]
Don't know if I'd get involved with the mayhem in the narrows, but the rec cove and the duck blind cove both have great fish. Lots of lmb on the east end of the narrows around the new dock. Drive in to the pumps on the east side of the main pool for perch and trout.
[signature]
I would NOT even consider going in a raft on the main body of CJ with oars only as I think you suggested. With a motor, even an electric you might do okay against a wind. I'd have to try it out and see it in action before I could say how I really felt about it. Based on the experience I have had with both rafts and electric motors (but never together) my instincts tell me it wouldn't push you against a good strong wind.

One thing about CJ is that you can go from relatively calm to gale force winds in just a few minutes. Rafts don't travel against a wind very well........

Why not get an inflatable and a gas motor? I think you'd be a lot better served.

On most days you'd do just fine, I'm fairly certain, but it only takes that one day........ to totally make you regret it.
[signature]
hooknhunter: agreed, I wouldn't even consider going out on CJ with oars only. A small outboard would be awesome, but not in the budget right now. If I were to get one, I'd want a dependable one. Not something that will fail on me while on the water. Quality outboards are several hundred dollars, closer to a grand.
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]Don't know if I'd get involved with the mayhem in the narrows, but the rec cove and the duck blind cove both have great fish. Lots of lmb on the east end of the narrows around the new dock. Drive in to the pumps on the east side of the main pool for perch and trout.[/quote]

Thank you for this info!
[signature]
I've been on CJ when the weather was calm and the forecast was for great weather. And then the wind came up. I want a motor that can get me off the water even if I have to move slowly against the wind. The wave action on CJ can be treacherous. The same holds for Cascade.

My wife and I have an understanding. If the wind gets bad, I will tuck into the first sheltered place I can find. I'll come home when the wind calms down. The key point is getting back home safely even though later than anticipated.

You might try looking on Craig's List. I bought a used boat and motor last summer. The seller should be willing to give you a demo and perhaps even an opportunity to try it our before you make a decision to purchase. I'm certainly happy with what I found.

Physion
[signature]
I have fished all over CJ in pontoons and float tubes. I have got caught in some real rough stuff. Last year I broke my seat frame on my cataraft when some unusually rough water decided to take my life. I was caught in a real rough spot and had a guy try to rescue me. Any body of water in Idaho can get ugly. You just need to get a quality boat, and quality equipment and go for it. I am not by any means a daredevil but I don't let much stop me.
[signature]
I have never float CJ or several of the other bodies of water you mentioned, but I just wanted to say, I have a 14' raft (NFO Drangonfly XL3)that I mounted a Minn Kota Max 55 to. they have nor keel or rudder so they are terrible to try and steer. They work the best with oar blades in the water and going backwards. Turning by just pushing an oar. Rough water is insane trying to manage them. Pontoons you have the fin power to help right you in rough waves, raft, not so much. Not sure a GAS motor would even work and it would have to have a long shaft. Good luck on your quest.
[signature]
flygoddess: I understand everything that you're saying, and thanks for your feedback. The Mariner 4 has an inflatable keel so hopefully it handles the turns and such a little better than what you describe.
[signature]
I watched the video, I will be interested to hear how it works. Mine curves up underneath because I have a more solid floor, so it basically like two pontoons with the floor barely touching water. Able to skate over 2" of water. You would think it tracks.
[signature]
I've had water flowing over the front deck on my bass boat several times at cj, only place worse is American falls. Walcott can get nasty put there are places to hid and regroup.
[signature]
I was up threw there. Early November. A old timer told me. Just look at the Western winds. If they are coming from the South. Beware.

Idaho
[signature]
Yea, we have had that at Henry's and at Strawberry. Thank God for self bailing floor.
[signature]
Off subject.
Fly,
You on a Bike?
If so very Nice. I like it.

[Smile]

Idaho
[signature]
Yes, Thanks
[signature]
Ok. Lots has been said and I agree with most of it, but I have some input that will hopefully not get you killed,or if it does, you will die with a Smile on your face.

You mention your family but not specifically for C.J. risky conditions. I will suggest that there are two different questions, that of risking yourself vs. others -- especially those that you care about. I try to be at least a factor of 10 more careful when I put my loved ones at risk.

I have numerous photos of C.J. Strike when it is dead calm and the water is flat. It does happen. I have access to aviation websites and know how to use them. Coupled with NOAA, I have a slight edge in forecasting the wind. That said, it is still rare when I hit it in light wind or dead calm.

Once you know where you can catch fish and where the close access is, I believe you can access very good fishing at Strike (on the right day) from the raft of which you discuss. The caveat is that you need to be able to use technology to forecast weather (i.e. wind) and be smart about micrometeorology or it will still not be an acceptable level of risk. Not the great fishing that a bigger, safer, more powerful boat has access to, but by far the best fishing that the raft has access to.

Let me give you a couple of examples. On a day in which a NW wind is forecast, you can fish the east end of the narrows without much risk provided you launch at the little known launch at the east end of the narrows (well west of Cottonwood). If the wind comes up, it will blow you home. Do the opposite for a day with an east wind forecast. Launch near the west end and fish under the power lines and the wind should blow you home. There are numerous access points on C.J. and many are very close to great fishing -- especially if you are targeting perch.....

Storm wind can be opposite of forecast winds and upper air directions so it would be best to not be out there when storms are around.

If you ever get in a position in which you are fighting the wind and losing, stop fighting and go downwind. Not many safe harbors on Strike but just making land on the downwind side will keep you alive. Hopefully you can save the boat too. Of course, if you get in trouble, try to flag somebody in an expensive boat.

I have a spot that is float tubes only and I play this game of letting the wind blow me when I fish there. I have to go several miles to make it work and have not been stuck yet....

PS I would rather die in the wind on C.J. than die a slow death on the couch watching TV....
[signature]
I have probably not fished CJ as much as some folks here but I have fished it enough times to establish my own simple rule.

1) If the Mountain Home weather report predicts winds less than 7 MPH for every hour of the day, your gold.

2) Any hour that predicts wind above 7 MPH but less than 10 MPH you are most likely ok but dont be suprised if it gets choppy.

3) Any hour that predicts winds at above 10 MPH (even at 11 MPH) you can pretty much count on getting blown off the lake at some point to include huge swells. I dont even go if this is the prediction and I have an 18' Sled,

Just my 2 cents. Be safe!
[signature]
Which weather site do you use?
[signature]
I don't know what web site MHG uses but notice that the weather channel offers hourly wind forecasts and in this case it would be best to use Mountain Home AFB for a forecast close to C.J.
I am going out today and the highest forecast hourly is 10 mph which is marginal by his criteria. I will try to remember to report back. I use the NOAA spot forecast specific to C.J. Strike (I simply click on the map location for Strike and then make that a bookmark). I also see what the upper air is going to do from forecasts at my aviation sites. For instance, today there is a storm coming in with SW upper forecast but as those forecasts get closer to the surface, they become SE and that is what NOAA is calling (light SE). I have a 16' boat and have elected to leave due to wind at times but no close calls and no huge swells. The place is not nearly as dangerous as Henry's or A.F. Res because you can fish the narrow spots when it is windy to stay out of the big open stretches...
[signature]
Although I live in Utah, I have fished CJ many times from my boats. We have camped on the lake near Crane Falls and we have had multiple tents destroyed or blown away. Once we were sitting in my Suburban, waiting for a storm to pass, when a large tree was suddenly blown over and fell right next to one of our tents. One time I foolishly pulled my boat up to the side of the ramp and left it tied up there while we made a run to town. A quick storm passed through while we were gone, and despite the kindness of some fellow anglers trying to save my boat, it got banged against some rocks. Had to patch a hole in the boat before we could head out again the next morning. Two years ago we didn't notice some storm clouds coming our way until it was too late. That wind hit and we had waves crashing over the top of the cabin and coming inside of my 19 1/2' boat. We were running on the auxiliary tank (another long story), and were running on fumes, when we finally were able to pull into the ramp. Bottom line, be extremely careful on CJ in any size of boat.
[signature]