Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 2-2-2015
After reading a couple of promising reports decided to try Rockport again. I went with a guy that hasn't ice fished for 20 years and then only once. The edges are getting sketchy definitely need a plank.Not the way to start with a novice. Fished from 19' of water to 30' of water saw perch on the graph but they had lock jaw. Second pole was set in trout territory. Managed a small 12" trout early and missed a couple. Got a hard hit on the bottom and brought in a 21 in brown. We also lost 3 big browns at the hole. I was surprised by the browns. I know they are there but we dont get them often and to have 4 big ones to the hole in one day surprised me. Ice was almost 8 inches but a lot of cracks and pressure ridges.Dont think we will get on it again unless we get a big cold snap. Fairly slow bite but good day, good company and 1 good fish.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Brent, too bad the catching was so poor for the perch but nice going on the brown. It sure is amazing how things can change in just a few days. Glad you were able to get out there before the ice is gone.
[signature]
Thanks Curtis. The ice isnt going to last long on the Rock for sure unless we get some cold weather. Guess its time to start getting ready for soft water fishing.
[signature]
I'm ready for soft water also, just drove thru Provo boat harbor it is ice free, am wondering if there will be early spwaning of walleye, blue gil and crappie.
[signature]
Was going to give RP a try but not sure if that ice is too rotten. I'm scared of it with the 60's and even up there 50's. lol. But no there definitely won't be early spawning of bluegill and crappie lol. Water, NOT air temps have to stabilize above 63 F for crappie and bluegill will be much higher after crappie are done. More like 68 to 70. Bluegill won't spawn til mid may at earliest no matter what. That means air temps at 80 to 85 ish for two weeks sustained, minimum. Bluegill eggs are likely not even enlarged now lol. They are true warm water fish. Crappie eggs are at likely 75 percent development by now. I'm betting UL water temp is no more than 38 now with the ice just barely off it a few days ago. Water warms up real slow and cools real slow not like air. That water is still cold enough if it dropped to 10 degrees tomorrow and stayed that way for a single night there would be safe ice at UL. 2 in hard safe ice lol.
[signature]
Good info
Thanks
[signature]
Oh ur welcome. BTW the reports are wrong about UL. I saw plenty of ice, a huge sheet solid from Orem on the freeway today so UL is not all open water. Therefore I bet the temp is no more than 35 avg in the open lake.
[signature]