Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jig head review.
I know ice fishing season is Sadly just about over here, but I wanted to take a minute to review some new jig heads I acquired recently.

http://maniaccustomlures.com/zen/index.p...ath=72_102

First the good. I really like the shape and design of these jigs. They fall quickly, even with plastics added, and the line stays in the right place. The hook is very sharp and also made of heavy/sturdy metal. Nicely done.

Now for the less desirable. So far the variety is limited. They only come in white and glow for colors and only come in 1/16 oz weights. I'd sure like to see these in different sizes and in varying colors.
[signature]
[#0000FF]James, at Maniac, buys his heads on contract. He does not make his own. And with all the sizes, shapes and colors of the fine plastics he sells that is too bad. Properly matching up the right size, weight, color and glow/non glow can help make a difference in how the fish see and respond to your offerings.

I have been making my own jigs for over 30 years and I let a few of the Utah guys throw money at me to get some of the stuff I make. Pikeman99 down here in Utah reps for Maniac and he has me make some special jig heads for him he can't get otherwise.

One of the newest models is made from a football head mold...1/16 oz and 1/8 oz. models. Hooks can be anything from size 6 to size 4 or 2...depending on the size plastic and what bait you will be using. What I like about them is that they are balanced to hang horizontally...without having to tie any special knots. I have modified several of my other molds to help create the "horizontal hold" presentation too.

Here are some pics of a few of the new "bug eye" jigs I have been making from the football head mold. The last pic is of a "PBJ"...painted body jig...I make with those heads and a wrapped and painted body. Also deadly in fire tiger and other colors.

There are a lot of different jig heads that will work with the Maniac plastics. A plain old round head jig will get the job done. But if you want a special color or presentation it helps to be able to make your own or have a source for getting what you want.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
They look very interesting, but I live 8 miles from drycreekoutfitters and try to spend all my tackle money there. Hint hint fellas.

Robert was trying to sell me a dingy to pull behind my bass boat, he said it would touble the amount of tackle storage.
[signature]
They look like a minnow head but taller to hide the hook eye in the head. I had a hard time finding the heads I wanted in the colors I wanted. That is why I got in touch with TubeDude and he showed me the process to make the heads and modify some of the molds. The molds will make many more hook sizes that can be used or adding blades ect. If you can think of it Tube Dude could make probably find a way to make it. It makes me nervous to drill and grind on a mold in case I ruin the size I want the most and there goes $40.
[signature]