Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higher elevations?
I'm curious to know if anyone has made an effort at higher elevations yet? Say, like 5000' or more.

With the super nice weather we've been having lately, I gotta think it won't be all that much longer till some of the upper regions become accessible.

Bogus is reporting 32" still at their base. But I think it's a well known fact that Bogus tends to lie...er, stretch the truth a bit when it comes to snow reports.
[signature]
I live in the Teton Valley (6200ft) and the snow is mostly gone on the valley floor. West facing slopes are melting out up to 7000ft. Tetons received more snow than anywhere else in the west but its mostly been accumulating above 8000ft. It's not unusual though. El Ninos are usually warm winters that produce poor snow pack years. If you go back through the records for forty years, you'll see that 90% of the mediocre ski seasons in the Tetons are El Nino winters. El Ninos usually have a few spectacular storm cycles and a lot of warm events that usually result in 300-450 inches at 9000ft. La Ninas, by contrast, usually result in 450-600 inches at 9000ft. This variance is so consistent in East Idaho that one can decide whether its going to be worthwhile to invest in a ski pass or not.
[signature]