Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 2/21
Decided to brave the elements and head out to Mantua. Got on the water around 11 just in time to catch the worse of the snow and wind. Put the kayak in next to the boat dock and paddled around the corner near the mouth of the cove. It is very shallow on that side right now, probably no more than 3-3.5 feet where I put the anchor down. Threw out a small white jig with a little sherbert Berkey Gulp on it sitting about 1.5 feet under a bobber. I planned on using two poles but they were biting so much on the one that there was no way I could use two. Stayed for a total of about two hours and caught around twenty. Kept a couple for dinner tonight.
Very nice. Way to brave the elements!

Any other species besides planter trout?
[signature]
Very,very good going. I used to be that tough about 100 years ago. Oh ---------- to be young and tough. Any bass?
[signature]
More like kinda young and dumb. I only caught trout, usually give it a couple more months before I try for bass.
We must have just missed you, we put the boat in at 7 and left around noon. Fished the same spot you're talking about stripping leeches and indicator fishing with midges and did about the same as you. Nothing of any size, fun though. The fish finder said 3 feet, but if you head east or any further south it gets super shallow pretty quick.

We went around the point and tried to find some bass throwing plastics, jigs, and jerkbaits and picked up 2 average ones. Still pretty dang cold up there, water temp was 40 according to the fish finder.
[signature]